Recent content by jasonwc

1. J

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I just wanted to confirm that the transceiver, MPO breakout cable, and OM3 couplers all worked as expected. The Finisar 40G-SR4 optic is a particularly good deal at $8 with shipping included. I now can utilize all 16 10G ports as well as the 40G ports.
  2. J

You don’t need to pay extra for a Brocade-coded QSFP+ breakout cable. You’ll find a lot of cheap Cisco-coded ones on EBay which will work fine.
  3. J

I have an ICX6610-48p. I'm currently using all SFP+ ports, both 40G QSFP+ ports (40G-LR4 Lite optics work great) and one of the two QSFP+ breakout ports with a QSFP+ to 4 x SFP+ cable. However, I would like to use the other breakout port to add more fiber ports. Is there any particular reason...
  4. J

I’ll plug in my ICX-6450-48p and see what it pulls.
  5. J

There may be a difference in power consumption between the non-PoE and PoE models simply because power supplies tend to be very inefficient under 10% utilization. The 6450-24 has a 65W rating. The 6450-48 has a 100W rating. The 6450-24p is rare at 525W. The 6450-48p is rated at 880W. I...
  6. J

When you say idle, is that with no devices connected? Every attached copper port will use power even if the devices are idle, and all active transceivers will require power. These switches don’t have energy efficient Ethernet so they provide enough power for the full 100M reach over copper even...
  7. J

So, it sounds like the switch itself is defective, and his best bet is simply to buy a new ICX6610-24. Is there any chance old firmware or a bad configuration could cause these issues? He’s looking at paying over $200 in shipping to buy a new switch from the US due to limited availability in...
  8. J

He says he has three of the 250W power supplies. Could all be defective?
  9. J

I asked him the same question. He said he used this meter -https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Wattmeter-Consumption-Frequency-Electricity/dp/B0828QWQZP He noted he’s using a 230V Shucko plug (Poland). It didn’t make sense to me that the switch would really pull that much power so I told him to...
  10. J

A user on Reddit posted an interesting problem with his ICX6610-24 (non PoE). He said his switch idles at 180-200W and when under load, can hit 400W. I told him this makes no sense given that the spec sheet indicates it only requires a single 250W power supply. The specs say the second power...
  11. J

Request for ethtool dump - tracking the missing 40000baseLR4!

It was a cross-flashed HP card: 649281-B21 HP Infiniband FDR/Ethernet 10Gb/40Gb 2-port 544QSFP Adapter 886111482092 | eBay I used fohdeesha's instructions, which I've included below for flashing: #Download latest FCBT firmware and unzip: wget...
  12. J

PFSense is the default gateway (0.0.0.0/0). Static routes are setup to handle inter-VLAN traffic. Say you have VLAN2 on subnet 192.168.2.0/24 with a VE IP of 192.168.2.250 and VLAN3 on 192.168.3.0/24 with a VE IP of 192.168.3.250. If you want a client on VLAN2 to route traffic via the switch...
  13. J

That’s odd. When you say the switch refused to lower the fan speeds, do you mean it audibly didn’t lower, or that “show chassis” continued to show the fan in high mode? I have an ICX6610-48P with dual C power supplies. It definitely ramps down with either one or two power supplies and dual...
  14. J

The guide indicates that if you have only one PSU and one fan, to put both in the leftmost position, when the switch is viewed from the rear (qsfp ports). You mentioned trying different positions for the power supply but the fan position will also change the noise level. The switch will run...
  15. J

The only thing you need to worry regarding the model # is the difference between the I and E models. The E models exhaust front to back which is quieter than the I models (back to front). Otherwise, the differences (32/48/56 port) and Advanced license only is relevant to licensing. You can use...