Recent content by Jason Hirsch

1. J

5105 fast replacement for failed card; no Raid-6?

I'll admit firstly I've screwed up. Had a drive fail, didn't have a spare card to migrate to Raid 6 (new drives sitting there, waiting for a chance to shine). My bad, 100%. Raid has been recovered, went to install new card- was a M5105 that I thought was the equivalent of an LSI with Raid-6...
  2. J

DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

Reminds me of the shipping dock losing over $15k in 64GB dimms. It was sitting under a notebook of procedures for checking in POs.
  3. J

DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

What's the best (current, june 2020) used ram/CPU/Mobo combo for maxing out ram? I've been going in circles trying to find some combo to set up a Freenas box. Currently I have DDR3-32gb ECC back when it was expensive and a 4 core chip. I end up either finding cheap ram, but massively expensive...
  4. J

Ebay auction - 6.4TB ioDrive3/ioScale3 - at $225

I keep getting the ones from like OCWE for 390$ for 4tb. wowsers.
  5. J

32GB PC3-14900 DDR3 LRDIMM 4x @ $150 of better

Honest question here: I've been trying to follow the 'cheap' massive stick ram sizes with 'what motherboard' takes them. Except it's a royal PITA- if there's an easier way, I'd be really happy to know it. Why? Ramdisk. Because. So is the reason the ram is cheap because the mobos are expensive...
  6. J

Are these counterfeit Xeon CPUs?

Reporting it as 'counterfeit' triggers a different investigation than just 'not as advertised'. I'd go that route. Then report on twitter...
  7. J

PCIe x16 Risers/Port Bifurcation on Home Grade Equipment

For what it is worth, I bought a 10gbe switch for under 100$ :)
  8. J

Please help find this 5U chassis

There's this: https://cp-techusa.com/rugged-servers/light-industrial/5u/ But I've also seen this in transport cases I've worked with. The quality was ... not so good. Those bays though look as if they are/were the same style type we used in avionics, so there is that... Anyways based on the...
  9. J

Speedy NAS, help needed: Want 1.0GB/s

I don't recall that being an option turned on- the data should compress nicely at least at 1:1.7, given experience, but I'll check next. Gonna have to hunt those down. I don't recall seeing them (But honestly at this point I'm fried), so... Originally this was to be a repository, and I was...
  10. J

The TrueNAS box has Zils and ARC. At least I think so... I'm having trouble finding my notes. Looking at an old hardware debug log, I see- 20 core, 128GB ram. I see a 'pmem' device for 16gb. I recall a conversation about optane memory (maybe in regard to that). In discussions my understanding...
  11. J

I'd be quite happy with this- although, being greedy, I'd want more. Unifi too.
  12. J

Thank you for taking the time to read- I have a number of nodes that (I'm being told) now need to write to a NAS (that was designed for redundancy and capacity) at much faster speeds than operational. Currently a Windows box over a 40gbe Mellanox fibre card writes to the TrueNAS box (40gbe...
  13. J

Dell Perc H310- sas2flash won't see it even with Post

Well, grumble. Flash Dell Perc H310 mit LSI 9211-8i IT Mode I'd followed it but I found yet another version of megarec/megaCLI, and this one worked from dos. So there may be need to modify the big tutorial on how to do this. What a PITA. But knowledge, m'kay?
  14. J

Dell Perc H310- sas2flash won't see it even with Post

I've got an odd one, I suspect. I have a number of H310s. 2 of them are being problematic- on one, I see the Post for the Raid (photo attached) but I can't do anything with sas2flash. I've tried a bundle from p5 to p20, all nogo. Ya'll got any suggestions? My perc directory is looking rather...
  15. J

No switch 40gb?

Not having the physical connectors on hand, is it possible to plug 2 fibre qsfp+ adapters together? Similar to just swapping the send/receive connectors for my sfp+ adapters. The only fibre I found from fs.com seems to be 12 strand whereas Dell is 8 or 5.