Recent content by Jann

1. J

ES Xeon Discussion

Are those V4? Because in V4, intel introduced some kind of stupid protection when using AVX, where the chips throttle down even under normal temperatures. Since Corona uses AVX, numerous people with retail V4 chips have written on their forum that they get less performance than their V3 systems...
  2. J

ES Xeon Discussion

My reason for a Xeon is simple - the E5-2686V3 performs better/same as 8core i7 in 3d rendering, for a price of 6 core i7. I don't need to overclock it, so I can use a silent Noctua cooler, and overall hope to get a semi-silent system. I'm also looking to try a few gpu renderers, so pciex lanes...
  3. J

ES Xeon Discussion

The price is close for 16Gb sticks both reg-ecc or unreg-no-ecc, so after reading more into how they differ, I see no reason not to get them. (and the Crucial ones suggested by RolloZ170 are even cheaper) I'm starting with 2 sticks, 32Gb total. Quad channel or memory speed doesn't really affect...
  4. J

ES Xeon Discussion

Question about ram to go with ES Xeons. Bought the Asrock X99 WS, but now the E5-2686V3 sold out on ebay again, so I'm trying to figure out what ram to get. I'd like to get Reg ECC 16Gb on each memory stick, but only one option is listed on official support list. Has anyone used anything else on...
  5. J

ES Xeon Discussion

So this one goes to 3.2GHz max when using 1-2 cores right? Or is it even higher? And could you please run corona renderer benchmark on it? (if you're using one cpu) There are 2690V4 results, but probably from retail cpus. With the 2686V3 sold out again, this could be my other option. Already...
  6. J

ES Xeon Discussion

Thanks a lot! Since that CPU seems to dissapear from stock all the time, I wonder if anyone can recommend other V3 or V4 cpus that have around 2000 Cinebench score and 1-2 core Turbo of 3.5GHz or more, and work well with multiple gpus. Will be ordering parts in September, so if the 2686V3 isn't...
  7. J

ES Xeon Discussion

Could you please run a Corona Renderer Benchmark on the E5-2686V3 and post results? I'm considering it for my upcoming workstation due to high core count but also good enough 1-2 core turbo for 3d work. But since it's not exactly retail, can't find benchmarks other than Cinebench. Would very...