Recent content by James Verbunk

1. J

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The mgmnt vlan config is only to set a 'stable' web address for the gui. OK, so in the last 5 mins I got this working. I'm not sure of the mechanism that Ruckus uses to find AP cluster members but the issue turned out that I was blocking something critical on the upstream firewall (pfsense). I...
  2. J

DHCP is enabled on upstream firewall, not on AP. No concern here. Got it. Awesome, thx for info. I made vlan 40 untagged on that port so all AP created traffic can use as its native. The APs can reach the upstream dhcp on the firewall (pfsense) Tried this but it doesn't affect the vlan...
  3. J

That's the method for assigning the SSID -> VLAN for client traffic. The hiccup I have is that the AP itself generates traffic (DHCP, Heartbeat to other APs, ssh). The (informal) way Ruckus has said to do this is add all the VLANs to the SSID so user client traffic explicitly goes into a VLAN...
  4. J

Hey Folks, Hoping someone has a similar config for tips. :/ I picked up a few 6610s in the summer and tested for a bit. Fast-forward to now(ish) and I wanted to setup some Ruckus APs with VLAN. I set my VLANs on the ICX and in the AP config (assigned to SSID). An issue I found later is that...
  5. J

Hey Everyone, Does anyone have info on using the SDN capability in a 6610? Apologies if I didn't read up to my answer yet (I'm 'only' on page 78). -J
  6. J

Enterprise routers/firewall vs pfSense

I'm definitely keeping a hardware firewall. One misconfiguration on the hypervisor or vlan could lead to exposure. No need to have the added pressure for me. I like the SRX345 hardware, especially the docsis mini-pim and asics but as @vangoose said I want to avoid chicken and egg (internal...
  7. J

Its only a small bit for a HW bump. More that I wanted to try the docsis mini-pim / learn some new methods. The SRX is the last stop before WAN so it is not a huge deal on 1GB speeds. At the time I picked this up I was trying for Juniper e2e but their Mist APs are cloud hosted only (their edge...
  8. J

Hey Everyone, I'm hoping to gather some opinions / experience for or against replacing my Watchguard XTM5 running pfSense with a Juniper SRX345. I'm sure some of you are running a combo of these at home and work. What pain points would I have? Some considerations, - SRX345 has no active...
  9. J

[WTB][US-MA] Samsung 8GB 2Rx8 EP3L-10600E DDR3 SODIMM

Hey Everyone, Looking for some oddball ram, Samsung 8GB 2Rx8, EP3L-10600E, DDR3, 240 pin SODIMM. If anyone has some to sell pls let me know. Thx!
  10. J

RoCE use cases

Hi Folks, Anyone come across or try out a killer use case for RDMA / RoCE? I know there are custom builds of some hadoop based apps but what have you found to be a great use of this tech? I have the box, now need the project. :) James