Recent content by Jaesii

1. J

Chelsio T422-CR Half working..

Hello, (Mods, please move this if in wrong category) I have 2x Chelsio T422-CR NICs installed in my esx hosts. Both hosts are on the same patch level of 6.5. I have installed 6.5 Chelsio T5/T4 VIB and all interfaces appear. I have set both adapters to esxi mode using CLI tool. Now...
  2. J

Linux SMTP Relay for Exchange

I would be looking to do a secure SMTP from my exchange server to the Postfix server. Kind of like the way I implement McAfee SaaS and Barracuda ESS at work, using firewall rules to only allow the VPS to send / receive mail. I already have the exchange server up and running with mail actively...
  3. J

Linux SMTP Relay for Exchange

Hello I currently have an Exchange server running in my home lab, since my ISP gives me a dynamic IP, I would like to set up a server in the cloud to use as a mail relay / smart host. Has anyone ever had any experience setting up a SMTP relay server from scratch on centos or ubuntu ? I...
  4. J

how'd you improve zfs performance?

I currently use my FreeNAS box in my home ESXi environment and I get pretty decent performance using iSCSI. FreeNAS config. SuperMicro X8DTL-3F Dual Xeon L5630 4C 8T (8C 16T) 30GB DDR3 ECC Intel x520-DA2 10GbE CNA Dual Port Mellanox MNPA19-XTR 10GbE Single Port 8x Hitachi Ultrastar Enterprise...
  5. J

Synology DS1513+ Perfomance hits - iSCSi

My synology is an intel i3 with 8GB ram and 10GbE. It shouldn't give me crap performance. Here's what I get on my Synology. The Array consists of 5x WD Enterprise 2TB drives and 2 SLC SSDs for R/W cache. Heres my FreeNAS SAN with just 8x HGST consumer 1TB 2.5 drives and no cache.
  6. J

Synology DS1513+ Perfomance hits - iSCSi

I too have terrible performace with Synology. I have 2 hosts connected to the synology using 10GbE DAC cables. My Datastore latency is all over the place. I also have poor VM startups. I've tried 9000 MTU and this makes little improvement. I have a sever I use for storage testing. Moving a...
  7. J

Best OS for SAN

Looking to improve on my home lab setup. I currently have 2 esxi servers and a synology nas im using as a SAN. The esxi hosts and synology all have 10G ethernet. The hosts are directly attached to the synology using DAC cables. I'm getting poor performance with the synology and am looking...
  8. J

Dual DAS setup?

Thank you KioskAdmin, you answered my question. I've never went down the DAS route yet, I would have probably spent a lot more money than I need to with trial and error attempts. This is why I love communities like this. I will keep those Intel CNAs and the Mellanox Dual port in my ebay watch...
  9. J

Dual DAS setup?

If fibre is easier, I already own two HP ProCurve 2810 switches that each have 4 SFP+ ports on them. But I also like the idea of using 10GbE CNAs with direct attach cables. That seems to be the best way to go.
  10. J

Dual DAS setup?

Well since this is for a home lab, I don't think i need 40GbE. My esxi hosts are 1U servers with 1 disk capacity, I would like to present the large disks from my JBOD server to the hosts, but I would need a card with two outputs, most cards I look at are single output.
  11. J

Dual DAS setup?

I'm in the process of building a new SAN for my vmware lab. My new storage server consists of : Chenbro RM23612 12-Bay Chassis Supermicro X8DT6-F Motherboard with the onboard LSI 2008 flashed to IT Mode. I want to have the fastest connection to my esxi servers using DAS. I've seen a lot of...