Recent content by J Hart

1. J

Hitachi DF-F800-RKAK AMS-2000 enclosures

I don't know about which Dell controllers might work. I've used LSI 9201 and LSI9208 controllers with these without a problem. I also used some Dell controller before but don't know the model number off the top of my head. It is the one that shipped with systems using the MD1000.
  2. J

Lenovo M90n $399

I bought one near the beginning of September for $399 and have to say it is better than expected. There are few neat little quirks. One thing is that it can be powered with USB-C PD rather than the supplied Lenovo rectangle plug. Another thing is that the BIOS/CPU allows virtualization to be...
  3. J

I have it set up with an LSI9208-16e type card. I haven't tried it with many other cards, so it is possible they might have tied it to a specific chipset and I just got lucky.
  4. J

Yep I still have two of these enclosures set up and working fine. They have never given me any problems other than the couple of issues I pointed out before (the status lights don't work and the size is slightly smaller than 3U). Not sure how they would handle newer drives as I haven't tried...
  5. J

Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

My problems sounded a lot like yours. I reconfigured some VLANs and ended up where packets would go through the switch in one direction, but not the other. I ended up removing the switch and replacing it with a different LB6M which was wiped and transferring the config back via TFTP. Worked...
  6. J

Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

My experience with VLANs has been similar to yours. When you set it up the first time it just seems to work, but when re-configuring something goes haywire. I think that something in the processing of tagged frames hangs around in the volatile regions of the switch when you unset some options...
  7. J

Quanta LB8

The JTAG header is on the board, but the problem I had in screwing with these was that they are PowerPC and the JTAG equipment wasn't easy to find.
  8. J

Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

Totally agree. I did mine under Linux and formatted all of them in parallel. There is probably a limit depending on the number of sas channels per drive.
  9. J

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

My other machine has a S2600IP4 motherboard and it has treated me well.
  10. J

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

I bought two and had one fail exactly as described. I pulled everything out only to find it was the motherboard. All the other parts were fine. Best I could figure it was something with the IME/IPMI that died. I was unable to pull any codes off of it.
  11. J

Also I guess the reason there is renewed interest in these is that they are selling for $120 Hitachi HDS AMS 2100 2300 2500 Expansion Array DF-F800-RKAK SATA / SAS W/ Trays | eBay
  12. J

Since some people have been asking about these recently I thought I'd share my experience further on. Noise compared to the MD1000 is less, I can't be sure of how much less because they are mounted in racks and I think the servers are most likely louder. They are similar to a 2U or 3U server...
  13. J

Old school Quanta Mesh LB9A aka Pronto 3290 aka Pica8 3290

Xorplus defaults to just a switch. I would start there. The syntax is different and occasionally confusing, but most of the stuff is in here http://www.pica8.com/document/PicOS_XorPlus_Guide_v1.4.pdf
  14. J

FS E5-2670, RAM, Infiniband stuff

I'm moving to China for a few months and won't be around to play with lab equipment. Decided I should clean out some equipment as I won't have a chance to fool around with it while away. Computer parts: From my S2600CP based machine, motherboard died and I decided I didn't really need that...
  15. J

Old school Quanta Mesh LB9A aka Pronto 3290 aka Pica8 3290

Finally got a chance to play around with mine again to see what I could get it to do rather than just speculating. So from U-boot I was able to boot an image over tftp. Here is how I did it. tftp 0x10000000 uImage tftp 0x2000000 uInitrd2m tftp 0x4000000 LB9A.dtb bootm 0x10000000 0x2000000...