Recent content by itsme

1. I

My HDDs get too hot. What type of fans do I need?

They are all 6-14TBs. In EU in particular I have noticed that 14TB-16TB are indeed the sweet spot, depending on the week.
  2. I

Thanks for the good info, do you have a typical example of a fan header multiplier, so I know what I am looking for? Also, since Arctic P12 are high static pressure fans, O am guessing you are implying that this is the type of fans I need. I think you are exaggerating, you have to take in...
  3. I

The HDDs that get hot are inside the servers I mentioned. Both cases are Lian-Li (Lian LI PC-V2010 & Lian Li PC-A71B). I am refering to the HDD SMART temps. I get what you mean, e.g. if I had a rack mounted server (or any case_ with industrial fans, I would not have any temp problems...
  4. I

You are correct, the front door opens and it helps. But it is not enough. For the time being I have both side cover open and some small desktop fans pointed to them, in order to not reach too high temps. Ambient temps can reach 30-32C in the summer, esp. when I am away and AC is off (too costly...
  5. I

Hi everyone, I have 2 unraid servers that get too hot when parity syncing, especially in the summer, so it is time to change the fans (original fans that came with the case). I like the cases I am using, and you cannot find anything similar these days, but due to their idiosyncrasies, I am not...
  6. I

LSI SAS9207-8e not recognized by my Windows system

Thanks everyone for their input, I appreciate everyone spending their time to offer their help. i managed to try the card on a different machine and still got no results, so I guess it can declare it dead.
  7. I

So, I booted into dos and I got the following (trying 2 PCIe ports): I guess the card is dead...
  8. I

I had a drive hooked up to it but I am using stuff that I recently bought and have not tested (and I unfortunately have no alternatives). More particularly I was using this setup: PSU -> HDD -> Sata Cable to SAS -> Norco C-8087-8088F -> 8088 to 8088 -> HBA so, there are many points of possible...
  9. I

I am probably not as experienced as you are, but I have seen cards with subtle differences that are just from different lots or factories. I have bought a few cards from china/HK ebay and never had a problem, especially from a well reviewed seller. But maybe it was long due...
  10. I

It is not It is an LSI SAS9207-8e 8-Port External Host Bus Adapter . Is there a way to be more specific? Are there some subcategories I am not aware of? I am currently away but I am downloading a live linux distro. I will google for the appropriate commands...
  11. I

Hi everyone, I recently received an LSI SAS9207-8e from ebay and installed it into my PC (windows 10, v.1903). The card does not seem to be even recognized by the system. In device manager -> storage controllers it does not appear at all. - the card is getting (very) hot, so it is being powered...
  12. I

PSUs for DAS

Hi everyone, I am building a very simple DAS server and most things are already ordered. I am going to use 2 basic HDD cages, a simple 2 Ports SSF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter and put all these on a DIY frame. Last ingredient missing is a PSU and I was wondering if there are any PSUs that are...
  13. I

Clarification about Norco C-8087-8088F & connection to host

Thanks a lot, especially for (3). There is a similar page in the UnRaid forums but the info is often wrong
  14. I

Clarification about Norco C-8087-8088F & connection to host

1. you mentioned 8643. Am i correct in my understanding that 8643 is to 8644 as 8087 is to 8088? 2. I was referring to the fact that cables that go from 8088 to 8644 are more expensive 3. I find some 8644 controllers equally cheap at ebay, but sometimes their specs are confusing. For example...
  15. I

DAS enclosure - DIY PSU power button

I will definitely contact him. Btw, I play a quite complicated space simulator called Elite Dangerous and this button reminded me that I wanted to learn basic electronics and make a control like this: maybe one day...