Recent content by istqian

1. I

Supermicro Power supply fan running full speed all the time

SQ means Super Quiet. it should be more quiet than stand model. maybe the temp sensor on PSU is broken.
  2. I

DIY external HDD with Server's HDD cage and backplane?

Yes, you can, if you obtain the correct power cable (or make one yourself). The power cable should have the following connections: yellow for 12V, red for 5V, and black for GND. Currently, I am using an NEC 8*2.5 SAS cage for 8 SATA drives, and it works fine. Make sure you have the right...
  3. I

All NVME Epyc Small Server

For you case, I am providing following, as they are cheap. you can find some second hand parts. MB SuperMicro X10SRi-F, 300$ CPU XEON E5 2678V3 120$, 12Core24Threads RAM 128GB RAM 400$, 32GB DDR4*4, 100$ each A PCI16x to 4 8643 split card, 100$ or less U2 SSD, P3605 1.6TB, 250$ each, 1000$ any...
  4. I

Home Lab and Router build

You can get a Server with multi LAN Ports and a CISCO L2/L3 Switch. All your needs will be OK. For a server, 300mm deep is not that good. you can build a server. but it is ok to buy a second hand server. Xeon E5 V3 platform is recommended as it is not so old yet powerful, parts is cheap. All...
  5. I

Dual M2 on X11SCH-L4NF and RAID NVMe booting

Why you have to use RAID? since these RAID is not that stable. you may get data lost. NVMe = Controller + SSD Chip. NVMe RAID is not possible through BIOS, you have to use VROC. and that is not possible for X11SCH.
  6. I

A True Micro HOME Server, 22L, XEON e5 2678V3, 128GB RAM, Intel X540, couple NVMe/SATA drivers

Hi guys, I am introducing my HOME server, small yet powerful. Build’s Name: A True Micro HOME Server Operating System/ Storage Platform: FreeBSD 12.1 with zfs. CPU: XEON E5 2678V3 Motherboard: SuperMicro X10SRM-F Chassis: ABEE D40 Drives: 4* Samsung 953 22100 NVMe 960GB with ASUS Hyper M2, 6*...
  7. I

Quad NVMe card with Supermicro X10Dai

Hi, I am using ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 CARD with X10SRM-F/X10SRi And it both work fine. X10DAi will do the same. I think. SuperMicro X10 MB supports pci bifurcation, when you use this card, you have to setup in BIOS properly. otherwise it will only recgonize one drive. if you want to create raid...
  8. I

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

I think the Lenovo M920Q is the best micro computer for homelab. it supports Intel i7 8700T 64G RAM(32GB*2) 2 NVMe 2280(better for zfs mirror) a PCI expansion riser card, which you can put Intel i350-T4(or I340-T4), which has an official support,or dual port 10G LAN adapter for better network...
  9. I

FreeBSD/pfSense guest 10GbE SR-IOV VF successes?

Finally I got a Chelsio T520-CR (Huawei OEM), and it works great on FreeBSD 12.1R. SR-IOV VF created, and can passthru to bhyve Guest. the fact is that only a few guests support cxgbevf, FreeBSD/Linux is ok. windows cannot boot with VF passthough(bhyve problem.), other appliance, such as...
  10. I

FreeBSD/pfSense guest 10GbE SR-IOV VF successes?

Hi, arglebargle Have you had any update for this topic? I am wondering 10GB card that works for FreeBSD either. Intel card is not so great at this time since the VF driver is troublesome
  11. I

Samsung SM963 960GB M.2 to 1GB issue!

I would love to share an experience for repairing this faulty state SSD of PM953. Recently I bought two cheap PM953 SSDs from ebay, and it is NOT WORKING and FOR PARTS only! I am not seeing that sentences when I bought them. when they arrive today, of course, as expected, not working! But they...
  12. I

SAS2 expanders $60 (IBM, LSI chip, Intel alternative)

I would like to share firmware update under FreeBSD 12.0 My HW is Supermicro X9DRL, DELL H200 (IT firmware P20), IBM SAS Expander. missing HDD when poweron, replug cable can fix it. Since my OS is FreeBSD, I don't want to reinstall Windows/Linux. and I found sg3_utils is available from ports...
  13. I

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

I successfully reformat 7 HP rebrand HUSML4040ASS601 400GB SSDs from 520 sector to 512 sector as descript here. I use FreeBSD 11 current and sg_utils from ports. At first I was using DELL H200 HBA(IT firmware). and HBA report error on init the SDDs. so I cannot reformat them. after that, I...
  14. I

Help needed after a bad flash of a SUN F20 Flash accelerator card

I did the same stupid thing as zhu did before! I don't know how to flash back. If you own F20, Please DO NOT flash LSI IT firmware. it will kill your card. anyone has experience on how to recovery this card? please help us!