Recent content by iamtelephone

1. I

EU 2 * HP T730 (130 or 170€)

You can just source a 85W+ HP laptop charger, same plug. Contact your local IT recycle shops and you should find a decent deal. (I can get official chargers for $15-$20 USD locally with between a 3-12 month warranty depending on the IT recycle shop).
  2. I

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

I have multiple Huanan X79 v2.49 boards and one PlexHD (X79T) board. I have not used a Xeon in the PlexHD board yet as it's housing a i7-4820k at the moment. But it does overclock/unlock the CPU on the i7 with UDIMM sticks. I can say that the Huanan X79 v2.49 board overclocks great on a E5-1650...
  3. I

[New Find] JEYI JMS585 - PCIe to 5x M.2 SATA3 Adaptor

Just thought I'd share a new piece of tech I found while doing my weekly browse on AliExpress. I was quite intrigued when I found a PCIe to 5x M.2 SATA3 adaptor for $59.00. Link: US $59.0 |JEYI JMS585 X16 PCIE 5 m. 2 SATA expansion card turn PCIE3.0 SATA RAID array card 5*ssd 5*ngff 5*m.2...
  4. I

e5-2695 v2 for $120-150 or less

Leave feedback based on your experience, not on others. E.g. Don't rate a restaurant one star because the people next to you complained about their food.
  5. I

Can the S2600CP(4) Integrated SATA controller use large Drives (8TB)?

Just to double check, but have you checked if the 3.3v pin is causing issues? How to Fix the 3.3V Pin Issue in White Label Disks Shucked From Western Digital 8TB Easystore Drives
  6. I

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

I don't remember any complaints about the Chinese x79 boards not taking RDIMMs (with e5 processors). I have two HUANAN x79 v2.49 motherboards. Both are setup with e5's and 4x 8GB RDIMMs. There's been no issue in regards to RDIMMs.
  7. I

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

98% sure it's for realsies. It looks like a better iteration of the v2.49 which has a working NVMe slot. The Runing x79z was a shitshow. I had such high expectations for it, but it fell flat on its face.
  8. I

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

A new Chinese x79 Mobo has been released: PlexHD x79 Turbo. There's little to no information on the board currently, but it looks like a few Russian's have been purchasing the board. Differences from HUANAN v2.49: - One extra PCI-E x16 slot (unsure of the speed) - Diagnostic card & Power...
  9. I

Need some advice on finalizing my massive NAS upgrade

Yep, the 836TQ requires 4x mini-sas to sata cables (16 cables) versus mini-sas to mini-sas cables. It can be a cable nightmare if you're extremely limited in space (between backplane and fans). In the end, it all depends on how you organize your cables. As you mentioned, you'll need a...
  10. I

NVME prices going down, will it affect memory prices?

I can't think of any. 1TB M.2 SATA drives have only just started hitting $150 on special. Maybe OP got confused between M.2 SATA vs M.2 NVMe. Lowest NVMe (new) I've found is the Adata XPG SX8200 960GB for $178 on a lightning special at Amazon.
  11. I

Need some advice on finalizing my massive NAS upgrade

~$15 on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X6FTVNS The cabling isn't that bad. Some velcro cable ties and molex extensions (1-to-2 or 1-to-4 splitters) and it cleans up nicely. Not as tidy as 4 mini-sas connectors, but for ~$15 you can't really complain.
  12. I

SAS2 expanders $60 (IBM, LSI chip, Intel alternative)

HP Expanders register 6Gb/s for SAS and 3Gb/s for SATA. IBM Expanders register 6Gb/s for both SAS and SATA. Read @TheBloke's posts on page 1 & 2 of this thread.
  13. I

SAS2 expanders $60 (IBM, LSI chip, Intel alternative)

Yep, I noticed the price drop last month and ordered another 3 IBM Expanders for $13.50 each. I can finally replace all my HP Expanders :)
  14. I

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Drive - Cheap 2.5" 4TB drives

I've had a similar issue with Proxmox/Debian finding errors on a two of my 2.5" 4TB drives. My fix is just as weird. I remove the drive from my server and mount it in my workstation. I'll check dmesg and SMART log (no errors), run a short SMART test (again, no errors), then re-mount it in the...
  15. I

BITTREX manually accepting account applications

Just wanted to confirm. My application got approved within 24 hours with similar settings/wording as @funkywizard 's