Recent content by Hydrogen_Bombaklot

1. H

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Review 64 Cores for a Workstation

AM AMD actually came out and said Windows 10 Pro will work just fine.
  2. H

Gigabyte R272-Z32 Review This 24x NVMe AMD EPYC 7002 Server is a Home Run

Thank you Patrick - I somehow missed the article you linked to. So, long story short, this is still a fantastic server for Microsoft Server Storage use given one uses approriate software and configuration. Thanks again for the quick reply!
  3. H

Gigabyte R272-Z32 Review This 24x NVMe AMD EPYC 7002 Server is a Home Run

I've looking at this server for a render farm NAS storage solution. It looks very promising. However, Level1Techs built one of these for Linus and ran into some problems. Any insight into how to alleviate some of the issues they mentioned? How would you go about running one of these with 24...
  4. H

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Review 64 Cores for a Workstation

What's the scuttlebutt on a TRX40 mobo with a Bmc and oob management capabilities? Heck, even the X570 chipset has a mobo with ACCE.
  5. H

MSI Creator TRX40 Motherboard Review for Content Creators

Nice, thanks! I figure 3rd-Gen TR is near maxed out in terms of frequency at stock, and offers good potential for thermal-limited deployments. A 10.7% decrease in wattage for a 5% drop in performance is pretty darn good.
  6. H

Thanks. I would appreciate it. No rush either, Happy New Year Patrick! You really upped your game this year, all the best in 2020!
  7. H

Great review. I'm really enjoying STH's reviews of Workstation hardware. I'm wondering if y'all could do me a favour. I recently saw Computerbase put out this article: Google Translate I'm wondering how the 3970x operates at 250w, especially with slower memory (2133, 2400, 2666Mhz). I want to...
  8. H

AMD EPYC 7702P Review Redefining Possible at 64C Per Socket

Hi Patrick, I'm wondering if you tested V-Ray on this chip? The reason I ask is the 7702P recently appeared on the V-Ray Benchmark listing (V-Ray Benchmark | Chaos Group), and it performed quite poorly compared to the 7742. I'm wondering if this is accurate, or it this tester just didn't tune...
  9. H

Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

Yeah, I posted a link to Canadian Newegg.
  10. H

Any new Supermicro motherboard on the pipe for EPYC Rome?

Now I'm really confused. Newegg has some Epyc/Supermicro H11 Motherboard bundles available right now. SUPERMICRO MBD-H11SSL-NC Mainboard, Factory Installed with AMD EPYC Rome 64 Cores 7702P CPU - Newegg.ca These could be Rev 2, I imagine they have to be.
  11. H

What's the best high endurance enterprise M.2 on the market right now?

They are available in Canada, although the prices are pretty high. Toshiba Xd5 Kxd51ln11t92 Solid State Drive - Canada Toshiba Xd5 Kxd51ln11t92 Solid State Drive - KXD51LN11T92 I ask about them specifically because I came across this review, but I'm not sure how reliable the...
  12. H

Interesting, but capacities too low on those. Thanks though.
  13. H

Rendering and/or HPC. Optane out of my price range. I've looked at the Samsungs. Any feelings one way or the other on the Toshiba XD5 series?
  14. H

Looking at the SM 2014TP-HTR, which has ample M.2 slots. What's the best enterprise high endurance M.2 drive right now?
  15. H

Advice on component purchases

I considered it, but the cost premium is significant. I don't have huge wads of cash for this, which is why I'm fine building the servers by hand. I'll have staff for maintenance anyways, and no single node is so critical I can't be without for a week or 2 waiting on warranty parts. The...