Recent content by HeBeCB

1. H

A venting question... want to put rack in utility closet

Bought a new house and i'm getting it wired up. In my previous place we had an attached garage so I ran all the wires there and that was just fine for all my equipment. In our new place I'd *like* to put it in our utility closet or, failing that, in an under-the-stairs closet or maybe in my...
  2. H

At a crossroads...

The case is filled with 4 of these: iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS and I think i have 12 of the 20 bays in use. They are pretty noisy. The only thing i'd need compute for on the box these days would be for Plex and Emby (maybe some photo management stuff too). I do my docker/vm experimentation on other...
  3. H

At a crossroads...

Yeah problem is... getting stuff across the border is a PITA right now... not sure what the duty on that would be (probably not too bad). Still doesn't address the noise issue but I should look at quieter fans... don't have a good option for a different room right now.
  4. H

At a crossroads...

1270 doesn't have quicksync.... only the XXX5 (and I think XXX6) variants do AFAIK. If I can stick in the LGA1150 series I keep the motherboard (not to mentioned the ECC sticks)
  5. H

At a crossroads...

My latest DIY is now several years old. Picked up a nice case off here with a few LSIs and was pretty happy while it was in my garage. I made one mistake and got a non-quicksync xeon-e3. It's been a good machine... did a bunch of docker experimentation (after a brief excursion with esxi). I'm...
  6. H

WTB: 1150 XEON w/QuickSync

I've got a server running an e3-1241v3 but I want to take advantage of the Plex hardware transcoding so I'd like to upgrade to a e3-???5 chip. Let me know if you've got one you're willing to sell. Sticking with the xeon line since I'm running ZFS w/ECC.
  7. H

New(?) Location for latest lsi2308 firmware?

Sigh... not 60 seconds passed and I found the answer myself (I think): ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT
  8. H

New(?) Location for latest lsi2308 firmware?

I was advised to upgrade my HBA firmware to see if it helps with some expander flakiness I'm experiencing. When I went to find newer versions (i'm using 19.0.0.0-it from the supermicro site... this is for an x10-sl7) my search redirected me to Broadcom(/Avago??) but all i can find there are...
  9. H

SALE PENDING: Norco 4224

Dang that was fast. If things fall through please PM ME
  10. H

SuperMicro 4U 24-BAY Chassis - Gotcha's??

Yeah I've seem Tam around for a bit and not heard anything bad so I'm comfortable on that front. I'm less comfortable on the other stuff :-) Are you from the 'burgh or is PGH your monogram?
  11. H

SuperMicro 4U 24-BAY Chassis - Gotcha's??

I'm in a somewhat similar situation except I'm looking to move my server from the tower it's currently hosted in to this kind of chassis. Things important to me: I want to move my existing MB (X10-sl7) + e3-1245v3 + memory over. The above board has 8 sata ports which, as I understand, can be...
  12. H

Shell shocker: e5-2403 thinkserver

Seems like a decent deal. .. you decide Lenovo ThinkServer TD340 Tower Server System Intel Xeon E5-2403 v2 70B5001TUX
  13. H

VMWare EVALExperience: Legit Home Lab VMWare Licensing!!!!

Any guesses as to why they didn't include Workstation in this bundle?
  14. H

Problems installing ESXI 5.5u2 under UEFI

Working under the assumption it would be better to install my hosting using UEFI, I started down this road of frustration (feel free to challenge that assumption as I was able to get it running under legacy BIOS just fine). I've tried using both the CD I used for my initial (bios-based) install...
  15. H

ESXi and *non*-ZFS fileserver reccos?

I'm leaning heavily against ZFS largely because I don't want to be "stuck" with needing to use all the same sized disks plus my workloads (home fileserver for storing media and desktop/laptop backups) don't really require the kind of "real time" raid support something like ZFS provides. I'm...