Recent content by heathen

1. heathen

HP mixed reality headset about $200

Its available on Amazon for $149.99 at the moment as used but "BRAND NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OPEN BOX!!!!!!". Don't know the difference between "2018 new" and not "2018 new" model though. :) It turned out that $150 offer is for the headset only (no controllers). Pity.
  2. heathen

EU Supermicro 4 Node Server 6027TR-HTQRF Quad node LGA 2011 @ 720€

Sorry, didn't finish my answer. You can try to find an IB switch with an Ethernet port and appropriate license, but not sure if low-port version exists. 36 port version exists but much pricey than without Ethernet interconnect ones.
  3. heathen

I don't [directly]. :-) I'm using IB as a private cluster network for ceph and hosts\VMs intraconnect. All communications with external world are going through virtual router connected both to a VxLAN over IP over infiniband and to WAN ethernet port.
  4. heathen

Yes, it can be used (on 40Gbit though), but you can have it for much less. But beware that it's unmanaged switch so you will need to use an external subnet manager software. Or you may want to get this one and have 36 port managed qdr switch for half price of the one you've chosen. An another...
  5. heathen

FS: Supermicro v4 servers and other (startup sells its hardware)

Sure, I'll ask him to join this forum. P.S. So I've wrote him, hopefully he will come here and answer all the questions personally.
  6. heathen

Sorry, guys, I've got cold and wasn't able to be online for a while. Sorry, it was my typo: pressed 3 instead of 2 while quick-typing message. Of course the correct price is $12000. But as I said I will let contacts of the owner and all negotiation will be with him. He just asked me to help him...
  7. heathen

Hello! One of my clients sells hardware he bought for his startup a year ago. If anyone will be interested in this I give this guy contacts. This hardware were intended to be an OpenNebula cloud with ceph storage backend and I've made the setup (full stack: networking, OpenStack, ceph etc)...
  8. heathen

Samsung SM863 performance on z97 SATA and RMS25LB controller

I've made some tests on z97 workstation and it's actually funny: [vlad@red ~]$ sudo hdparm -W 1 /dev/sdc /dev/sdc: setting drive write-caching to 1 (on) write-caching = 1 (on) [vlad@red ~]$ cat /sys/block/sdc/device/scsi_disk/2\:0\:0\:0/cache_type write back [vlad@red ~]$ sudo fio...
  9. heathen

It seems to be a different parameter: admin@e001n03:~$ sudo hdparm -W /dev/sda /dev/sda: write-caching = 1 (on) admin@e001n03:~$ cat /sys/block/sda/device/scsi_disk/0\:0\:0\:0/cache_type write back admin@e001n03:~$ sudo fio --filename=/dev/sda4 --direct=1 --sync=1 --rw=write --bs=4k...
  10. heathen

A little update for those who are interested in my investigation. I haven't got a time to check parameters on my z97 workstation with Fedora Linux, but I've got pretty impressive improvements by enabling write-through cache: echo "temporary write through" | sudo tee...
  11. heathen

Good sync writes m.2 nvme drives: are they exist?

In addition to previous question I've got an another one. I have Intel H2312JFFKR servers, which are 2U 4 nodes servers with Infiniband and three 3.5" HDD slots per node. I'm going to build a hyper converged platform for virtualization. One of the important parts is storage, of course. The...
  12. heathen

Hi, ppl! I've got a weird situation and would like to ask for help. I have a number of Samsung sm863 1.92TB SSDs and finally got my servers. Firstly I've tested SSDs on a workstation motherboard with z97 chipset via internal sata3 port. Have got the next results (I've posted these results...
  13. heathen

HGST ULTRASTAR SSD800MM HUSMM8080ASS200 800GB 12GB /s - SAS MLC $650 OBO

If you mean the deal with Samsung drives then he got these drives at the end: seller has told me that eBay support obliged to cancel my order and finish the previous one :) so that case had the happy end to him :)
  14. heathen

Blade Network RackSwitch G8000F 48 Port Switch w/ 10GbE Uplink Module - 84.99 OBO + shipping

According to the installation guide using two brackets is enough for the standard rack installation.
  15. heathen

Blade Network RackSwitch G8000F 48 Port Switch w/ 10GbE Uplink Module - 84.99 OBO + shipping

Thanks a lot, I already got it and even flash firmware into two of my G8000s. Considering now does it have any sense to flash the same image into both partitions. One switch still has v. 1.1.4 in image1 and had 6.8.x in image2.