Recent content by ghandalf

1. G

Yet another scale-out storage on commodity hardware question

Hi, I know, this thread is from February, but maybe I have also a nice possible solution. We will start to check ZetaVault in the next weeks, so maybe, I can share some info about it later. ZetaVault is based on ZoL and doesn't use JBODs, instead, it uses storage servers which serves its...
  2. G

Looking for a scale-out storage solution running on commodity hardware

Hi Kattlampa, thank you for your response! We don't have the hardware yet, we would build the storage servers as we need them. So we are open for recommendations! About the 200k IOPs, you mean, we can achieve this with a hybrid setup and don't need all flash? Would it be possible later to add...
  3. G

Whitey's foray into the world of CEPH

Hi, sure, but it is also nice to see, what performance you can get with only 3 nodes! Bit I think it is strange, that there is such a big gap between read and writes here and they optimized a lot!
  4. G

Hi all, thanks for your posts! I see that all you recommend to try out ceph! Great, for a company storage, we need for sure a supported software environment: What ceph storage Os would you recommend? I heard of RedHat Ceph storage, but also Canonical should have a supported ceph cluster...
  5. G

Hi, yes, as I wrote already, we will have a look on ceph, BUT, we need also a real shared storage like NFS, so that several VMs can access same files. I don't know, If ceph can do this, maybe then with cephFS, but we need a supported product like RedHat Ceph storage and I don't know if the...
  6. G

Whitey's foray into the world of CEPH

Hi, have you had a look on this: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/support/tools-utilities/All-Flash-Array-Reference-Design/downloads/Samsung_NVMe_SSDs_and_Red_Hat_Ceph_Storage_CS_20160712.pdf Is a nice PDF where you can see, that ceph can be really fast in read IO performance, write is ok.
  7. G

Hi, right now, we have 10Gbit Switches with 40Gbit uplink, but new network equippment will be bought if necessary. IB as already available. About capacity: we have a 350TB Isilon for archiving, but storage space is increasing everyday, but I think, we will start with 6 or 8 nodes with a lot's...
  8. G

Hello, I should look for my company for a new storage! I should look for a scale-out capable software like EMC Isilon or ScaleIO, running on our own commodity hardware. EMC ScaleIO is not a solution for us! I found for example compuverde or storepool, but compuverde looks better with more...
  9. G

napp-it replication extension questions

Hi, you can use zfs send -p to send the properties. It copies all properties, including nfs share, compression... and it is working witout receive -o! zfs send -R should also work. The zfs receive command with -o and -x flag is only available in solaris 11 and maybe in solaris 10, but not in...