Recent content by gdi2k

1. G

Desperate search for Arista EOS firmware

Does anyone have versions 4.25 or newer? Also, can anyone confirm these newer firmware versions work on DCS-7050QX-32S ? Cheers
  2. G

Supermicro H12SSL boards listed on website

Would love to hear if anyone has any updates on these. We've been waiting for these to become available since Aug 2019 when the H12 stuff was announced by SuperMicro. We've pretty much run out of time now - if they're not available by early Aug, we'll have to buy the old H11 boards, which really...
  3. G

Connectx-3 Alternatives

Thanks for the all the suggestions and feedback. In the end we bit the bullet and just went with the Connectx-3. The ones that cost much less are all PCIe 2, or have other limitations that aren't worth the compromise. We can get the Connectx-3 at $36 each, which is a fair price I suppose.
  4. G

Connectx-3 Alternatives

Yes ;) We may spring for the Connectx-3s in the end just because that's what we know and we've not had any bad experiences with them, but $2000 is $2000, so I thought I'd at least check. SolarFlare has a good reputation on here from what I can tell.
  5. G

Connectx-3 Alternatives

We've been buying reasonably priced Mellanox Connectx-3 SFP+ 10Gbe NICs over the past couple of years, usually for around $17 to $20 on ebay (US). These days however, all these cards are priced at around $40. :( Any recommendations for good alternatives? I've seen some dual-port SolarFlare...
  6. G

POE Switch Recommendations

Hi, I'm looking for a 24-port POE switch (all ports POE) with SFP uplink ports that's QUIET (people will be working within its vicinity). It needs to support VLANs so I need some degree of manageability. I have found this Netgear GS324TP...
  7. G

VOIP Switch Recommendation

Finally progressing with this project. I bought a Brocade 6450 24 port POE for testing. It's definitely quieter than our Dell 5500 series, but it is louder than I had hoped for in an office environment (especially as we'll need to be using two of them in close proximity with one another). Any...
  8. G

Thank you, these look ideal. Will pick up a couple for testing...
  9. G

I'm looking for switch recommendations with the following traits: - 16 or 24 ports of 1G ethernet ports with regular 802.3af POE for powering Polycom phones. - 10G SFP+ uplink port (one or two ports is enough) - Quiet, as they will be placed inside an office space. They don't have to be...
  10. G

Mellanox ConnectX / HP MT26448 - Multiple PFs not yet supported

Many thanks fohdesha for taking the time to detail all of the options, that's incredibly helpful. Looks like the 40 gbE HP cards (with high profile bracket in my case) are the way to go, along with the QSFP to SFP+ adapters (until I can get some 40 gbE switches). I've seen guidance on flashing...
  11. G

Mellanox ConnectX / HP MT26448 - Multiple PFs not yet supported

I got a bunch of these Mellanox ConnectX HP branded MT26448 cards on eBay for use in a Proxmox cluster, and mostly they're fine. However, once every 3 - 5 reboots, they don't come up and we see the this in the logs: I've found a few posts about this issue in various places, but none with a...
  12. G

Dell PowerConnect 5548 Noise

JoeKewle I didn't take the plunge in the end. I couldn't source them locally, which would have meant importing them from the US, and couldn't find anyone that had done it successfully on the Dell 5500 series switches specifically, so I didn't want to risk getting a pile of wrong parts (we...
  13. G

Yeh, should have perhaps researched these things a little more before pulling the trigger! The problem is, I'm outside of the US and it takes forever (and costs much!) to ship these things back and forth, so I'm sort of stuck with these for now. I've just pulled one apart to take a look. There...
  14. G

I've got a bunch of Dell PowerConnect 5500 series (5524, 5548 and 5548P). They are noisy, and I need to use them in an office environment in a cabinet. So I'm looking to replace the fans. I've seen a lot of advice / recommendations for the (likely equally noisy) 5400 series, such as using these...
  15. G

Used M5300-52G on ebay

Greetings! I've been lurking for a while, great stuff! First time poster today. I am interested in picking up two Netgerar M5300-52G switches on ebay to add some redundancy to my network. My intention is to set them up as follows: Now: Stacked, with stacking connection using dual 10G ports...