Recent content by Gallager2014

1. G

ZFS capacity expansion time

A decent place to look, and to minimize your risk of DOA drives, is Supermicro's estore. I have ordered 14 drives from them and all have worked. Supermicro eStore - Enterprise Server Hard Drives (HDD)
  2. G

ESXi Hardware compatiblity with Xeon E56xx

I am in the process of building a server with the Supermicro X8DT3-F motherboard and Xeon 5650. I want to use ESXi 6.x but vmware's site only shows 5.5 as the highest supported version. Is it safe to use the hardware I currently have, or should I upgrade?
  3. G

ZFS performance/tuining guide

On some of the resources I have looked at while planning how I want to setup the storage on my server, there have been links to a ZFS performance/tuning guide, which is hosted by Oracle. It is a dead link and Oracle says it cannot find the guide. Does anyone know if this guide has been copied...
  4. G

Building new file/media/VM server with ZFS

Is there a performance hit using ZFS with ESXi?
  5. G

Building new file/media/VM server with ZFS

I am building a new server that is intended to be used as a media server, file server, torrent server, and as a VM server. I want the data stored on this server to have data integrity so I want to use ZFS. I am considering using ESXi as the base software and run everything else as guest VMs. Is...