Recent content by gabe-a

1. G

Overheating problems with 2x Epyc 7742 in Define 7 XL 1TB/2TB RAM

To address the RAM temp question, the type of technology present in sub 1TB RAM fundamentaly differs from that in 1TB+ RAM. The difference is due to something called LRDIMM. The "load reduced (LR)" aspect of these modules places much more load on the memory VRMs than typical RAM where the load...
  2. G

Overclocked 128cores Epyc workstation WR cinebench r23, corona bench and randomX

Wow, great work on this!! Chiming in! My stupid SuperMicro-board-touting "mediaworkstations" rig still overheats regularly (but still can at least do some TDP-limited processing thanks to the help of forum gurus here). I do HPC work where it actually uses all 1-2TB of RAM as well as all the...
  3. G

Hehe, funny you should mention this. The reality is, I paid multiple tens of thousands of my own savings for a company to build this for me. This Fractal business is their rebuild. The first was in a glass case and literally wouldn't boot without an alarm. After so much sunk cost, I am willing...
  4. G

I guess it depends -- this requires some kind of rack, correct? Does it allow fan speed control? The reason I avoided just buying a legit server in the first place is because of the noise. I have a dual xeon platinum 8180 workstation (hp) that is unbelievably silent except under tremendous...
  5. G

Overclocked 128cores Epyc workstation WR cinebench r23, corona bench and randomX

I have the h11dsi (the only other mobo available). I am suffering from overheating problems left and right inside a workstation/desktop chassis. For me, the RAM VRMs (and sometimes the CPU VRMs) would overheat when doing high-intensity computation. I am curious if this new motherboard is...
  6. G

I've tried without the top-mounted fan, but not yet without the extra fans on the motherboard. I'll give it a try. Makes sense. I do have an incredible HP Z8 workstation (factory configured/setup/installed) and it is absolutely incredible (but a little loud under most intense load, nearly...
  7. G

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike -- very appreciated. I can hopefully answer some of your questions. Ambient temps: the room air is kept at 68F (20C). The air inside the case has a "case temp" that is also referenced in some of the IPMI logs as well, and it sometimes approaches 37C, but does...
  8. G

Thanks alex, Great points, but I'm not actually stability testing at all. I'm running a real HPC workload that I want to get through. This is where the alarms went off. Multiple different workloads actually trigger things -- one is parallel genome short-read assembly using the ultradeep...
  9. G

Thanks! I ended up leaving the RAM fans in... maybe I will take them out. But right now I have the 2000RPM fan duct-taped to the CPU coolers blowing down. I don't think the duct tape will hold long (I've ordered zip ties from amazon), but for testing I figured why not. CPU1 Temp...
  10. G

Thanks @alex_stief for the great instructions. This helped a lot. I've installed them as follows, verifying that the cured remnants of the compound were indeed hard but could be indented with my fingernail. I've installed all of them in the vertical position as suggested. I didn't need to...
  11. G

Alright, time to tackle the RAM VRMs since all components have arrived (sandpaper, phobya ("fear it!"), and the baby copper heatsinks). Just to be sure I'm doing it right: 1. Sand flat side of the copper heatsinks with grain 80-400 sandpaper (Maybe I'll use 200). 2. Mix 4x the black goop...
  12. G

Sorry, forgot the pics. And forgot to ask if the space between the top 2 fans is okay. (3 fans won't fit because the hard drive panel blocks a third fan!).
  13. G

Hi, Update! I got 6 3000rpm fans and plugged 4 of them into 2 4-pin locations on the motherboard labeled fan8 and fan9. (Interestingly these 2 don't show up in ipmitool). I used 2 2-way splitters to accomplish this. All 3 front fans and exhaust rear fans are plugged into these 2 4-pin ports...
  14. G

16 Core 32 Thread HP z820 dual socket workstation build/performance upgrade

Cool -- for science! Just curious in the meantime if anyone with a E5-2667 v2 could compare to compare the voltage at the same clocks as posted in S-C's screenshots previously to identify the obvious culprit (lower voltage per clock on the oem version). If performance is truly the same across a...
  15. G

16 Core 32 Thread HP z820 dual socket workstation build/performance upgrade

Hi there again, As a preamble, I was the guy who only voiced being impressed, and also kudos for having traveled to China for your passion, which I also support! I'm actually curious about this processor (remember my post about the voltage vs clocks?). Is there any way you can report the...