Recent content by Fritz

1. Fritz

Ablecom PSU's ?

The question remains unanswered. Are Ablecom branded PSU's of lesser quality than SM branded ones? Since none of the Ablecom PSU's are certified I tend to think this is the case.
  2. Fritz

Active vs Passive Heatsinks (in Supermicro Chassis)

Dynatron coolers are garbage. They don't cool anywhere near as well as SM coolers. At least that's been my experience.
  3. Fritz

Ablecom PSU's ?

OK, so what about the quality as compared to SM branded PSU's?
  4. Fritz

Ablecom PSU's ?

Are they any good? Usable in an emergency? Avoid at all costs? I know they're loud and don't have a colored sticker that says they're special but is it OK to use them? How is their efficiency? Like a lot people, I assume, I have a collection of them removed from chassis's bought off eBay. I...
  5. Fritz

Does anyone want to take a dump on me?

Wow, this is uncharacteristic of Supermicro. I'd expect this sort of thing from HP, etc. When they started charging for a license key to update the BIOS via IPMI was a bad omen. Wonder what's next? Charge to add a second CPU to a dual CPU MB?
  6. Fritz

Does anyone want to take a dump on me?

Never heard of this limit till now. I have a SC 216 loaded with 24 900GB SAS 2.5 drives plugged into a X9DRD-7LN4F and all 24 drives work. I also have an old X8DTE-F based system with 24 2TB drives and ditto. Both are JBOD. Does this limit only apply to RAID?
  7. Fritz

EXPIRED fanless Intel® i3 Kaby Lake mini PC for $74.83

Just an update. Been using mine as a HTPC and it's working great. Originally wanted to run Linux but had to go with Windows 10 instead due to Bluetooth issues with Linux. Since it's dead silent it makes a great HTPC.
  8. Fritz

Need to reset IPMI but no CPU and no POST - Supermicro X11SPM-F

Don'tcha just love happy endings.
  9. Fritz

Supermicro 3x 5.25" to 5x 3.5" HDD enclosure (sas or sata) ~ $106.25-$125 (new'ish)

Ah, never thought to put one in a non SM chassis.
  10. Fritz

Supermicro 3x 5.25" to 5x 3.5" HDD enclosure (sas or sata) ~ $106.25-$125 (new'ish)

How are you guys using these things?
  11. Fritz

How long does a supercap battery hold its charge?

The 9271 usually does a patrol scrub shortly after I fire it up. I assume it's looking for bit rot. It takes several hours to complete.
  12. Fritz

I got the 9271 in a Quanta server I bought on eBay. I upgraded it to a 3008 HBA. Since the 9271 will do RAID 6 I decided to put it to work in my backup server. Hopefully I won't regret it in the future. I hate to see good HW sitting idle.
  13. Fritz

So I guess the bottom line if the server loses power unexpectedly I should immediately restart it to dump the cache before it disappears into la la land.
  14. Fritz

8TB Ruler format SSD - P4500- listed at $900

Seller is known for taking low ball offers. just sayin'