Recent content by Fodmidoid

1. F

Need pfSense Hardware Advice for Gigabit Internet

I still need to build something and not sure yet how to go. You're saying a Xeon D-1508 would be the best way to go for gigabit Wan? Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  2. F

Need Advice for Xeon D Build with GPU Pass-through

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  3. F

But, I'm still wanting to know if I can have one good server, running ESXi, Xen, or KVM/Proxmox/Ovirt, etc. That I can run my always on VMs, including a VM as an HTPC and gaming VM. I have a Synology NAS I'll be using for network media storage. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  4. F

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  5. F

That's great. Thanks. I will check this out. If it ends up working, maybe I should just focus on building an always-on VM server and possibly have one of those VMs used just to browse web pages on the projector, etc, instead of a full blo name htpc and gaming VM. I'll let you know how it goes...
  6. F

Thanks for the advice so far. I started out streaming kodi on a fire TV on my BenQ HT2050 projector, but during scenes that pan from side to side, it was a little jittery, so next I tried out an Nvidia shield, which is great as a streaming device. Much more powerful, but still slightly jittery...
  7. F

Hi there. Thanks for all the comments. Please excuse the delay. I've been away. No, I haven't bought the hardware yet, though I'd like to start putting a parts list together and order everything as soon as I can. I'm real confused now with all the recent discussion about cards, though. Perhaps...
  8. F

Thanks very much. Any specific Radeon card recommendations? So, is my "One rig to rule them all" idea feasible? Especially with running a HTPC/Gaming VM? Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  9. F

Thanks, Patrick. Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  10. F

Thanks. Are you saying, only use 16 or 32 GB RDIMM modules for a total of 64 GB max? Any advice for the rest of the build? Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  11. F

Hi Everyone, I'd like to have a Xeon D-15xx home server with 64 GB RAM, GPU pasthrough, with ESXi 6/6.5 (perhaps KVM down the road) running VMs: pfSense, PLEX, Asterisk, and an HTPC that I can use with a BenQ HT2050 projector for watching Kodi, streaming movies from the PLEX VM and I was...
  12. F

Xeon D-15xx to Replace a Dell R715?

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the following Supermicro Xeon D-1518/1521 rack servers as both a pfSense and few other always-on VMs? ...and for the higher end ones (1528/1541) as a complete lab server? Thanks very much. Amazon.com: Supermicro SuperServer 5018D-FN8T Xeon D Mini 1U...
  13. F

Thats an interesting looking case. Since I'm so limited with short depth cases, if I were open to keeping my full server cabinet, what case(s) would you recommend, then? Thanks.
  14. F

Thanks, Evan. I would prefer a short case, if possible. I do have a full length server cabinet, but I'm looking to downsize. I realize that cuts my options. I have Synology NAS so I'm not too concerned with storage, though I would like to have some. Possibly some fast SSD and 1 large SATA drive.