Recent content by FlyingTexan

1. F

Converting an HP DL380e Gen8 14xLFF Server to a Disk Shelf

Wanted to give an update. 1) Got it all working! 2) Not all HP DL 380e have their own controller (I'm a noob so didn't know) 3) I have one 8pin to each disk shelf. No issues at all. 4) My unraid server has gotten much faster with the backplanes and I don't know why 5) My drive temps doing a 3...
  2. F

Original LSI SAS 9300 16i - Problem Flashing. Please Help!

I just wanted you let you know that I'm fully aware not all Heroes wear capes. I'm flashing today and will be using this. Thank you so much for the effort.
  3. F

The wiring on the backplane is pretty thin 20awg wiring. Can the backplane and drives be powered off a single 8 pin PSU cable? Does this backplane automatically stagger the spin up?
  4. F

So i'm at the point basically. I've modded my power connectors to my new corsair PSU and it didn't blow up. What I'm worried about is the cooling of the drives. By measuring it looks like they could take an 80mm fan each. That'd be 8 fans, which is fine, but I'm a little curious how your...
  5. F

Stupid question but do I need to use all 12v and grnds? Or can I just splice the 3x12v and grounds together so it's basically two wires?
  6. F

I wanted to bump this because I’m getting eager lol but also because I wanted to ask if the backplane here will automatically provide 3.3v to the drives that need it to function like the newer Ultrastars.
  7. F

On another note... If powering the backplane from the PSU there's no reason to power the buttons on the dl380e is there?
  8. F

Can you explain this to a 5yr old brain? What does the 5v/12v on the backplane have to do with it? Do you mean the max amperage that they pull exceeds the 12v amperage? I didn't think 5v was used at all? I'm on unraid and unsure if I can do staggered starts. New realm for me. If this is simply...
  9. F

Ok so I just ordered two of these on ebay. So that would be my 24 drive capacity (I'll have 19 or 20 for now because I may have one trying to die on me). I've also ordered a LSI 9300 16i which has four cables. So if I'm not mistaken I can run all 24 drives off the LSI 9300, correct? My...
  10. F

Has anyone here modified a Dell Equalogic PS5000?

I'm just wanting to hold 24 drives and have a backplane. I was reading through and asking question about a HP and found a this Equalogic locally that I could just drive over and pickup. Basically I'd want to take a grinder and cut it just for the backplane and drive slots. Has anyone taken a...
  11. F

This might be a dumb question but when going from the PSU to the backplane does it matter if I do 6-8pin or 8-8pin? I'd assume you'd want 8-8pin. 750W Gold Power Supply | Fully Modular this is my psu. I really like it, made by seasonic. Today my voltmeter and molex tool came in to remove...
  12. F

Kudos to you! When you said 3D printed you already were out of my neighborhood. I went ahead and ordered a 3rd. So hoping to have about 24 drives powered by one PSU. It's going to be a project but based on the info in this thread shouldn't be too crazy to put together. This is my last salvo...
  13. F

Great news! How are you powering these? Did you do a 6 ->8pin for each, 8->8pin for each? I see 8 pin cables with two 8pins on the end so didn't know how many drives I could run off one cable successfully. I'm really glad to hear you did the repinning. I've ordered a voltemeter and few 25inch...
  14. F

So I've picked up two dl380p 8 drive bays off ebay and just ordered 16 drive caddy's. I'd read that there was an issue with 16TB drives on some of these. What about 14TB drives? My current drive mixture is 8 and 14TB drives. Secondly. My goal is to power everything off my ATX power supply...
  15. F

Windows Storage Spaces

I didn't know exactly where to put this but I have a home server that is currently running Windows 10 Pro that's pretty stripped down and setup exactly how I'd like it, almost. Nice and solid, never any issues, does it's job. Right now in my storage pool i have 2 SSD and 5HDD. I'd like to...