Recent content by FlashEngineer

1. F

Supermicro X11SPM-TPF (10g sfp+) with silver 4110 in SC847 - ~130w power draw!??

If it is, then it's either these things pulling the extra power, if removing all HDD and PCI cards. 1. Mainboard components 2. Backplane 3. Fans
  2. F

Supermicro X11SPM-TPF (10g sfp+) with silver 4110 in SC847 - ~130w power draw!??

The board itself? Is my ram pulling 33w? That's only 4 sticks
  3. F

Uh none for FREEBSD? I need something that works with that..
  4. F

I want to try another distro of linux or something, just boot up it as is and see if the power draw is similar to XigmaNAS
  5. F

I don't have an external PSU, all my servers are supermicro and I can only use those. You're saying the PMBUS and whole PSU setup in their servers is using more power? I know IPMI uses power and you said you had this board so it should factor it in unless you disabled IPMI. I can put in a...
  6. F

Are there any bios configurations to reduce power on this board? I already set on xigmanas the minimum power consumption mode which forces mostly 800mhz, I don't know what else it could do.
  7. F

yeah but the chassis airflow might not be good with 3 fans. Either way I've calculated to be minimal - 25w of power which still doesn't account for so much more draw if this board + cpu only draws 30 on idle? I can make sure really true draw by disconnecting everything, but the backplane is...
  8. F

Yeah the 1518 was with same RAM and fans/psu. The total wattage was about 25w less. Still overall high, just can't believe fans+backplane cost so much to run?
  9. F

So I've purposely built and swapped my other old systems to this board+cpu gen because it idles very good, this system is my NAS so it's idle like 90% of the time, trying to cut down on power consumption for sake for longer UPS runtime and other factors. Anyhow, I couldn't believe my eyes when...
  10. F

thumb screws for rack ears on supermicro chassis?

Wait, are you just want to secure the chassis so you can't pull it out? Any M5 screw will do. Don't most rackers use metric M5 and M6 screws and cage nuts?
  11. F

thumb screws for rack ears on supermicro chassis?

Which rails do you have? They are usually M5 screws, hard to get these unless you contact supermicro directly, otherwise fleabay will charge arm and a leg.
  12. F

Any use connecting SAS3 HBA to SAS2 backplane?

Yeah for sure if I was using SSD, but it's just spinning drives and they are all 6.0 Gb/s I guess my question is that, using the SAS3 HBA, is it still 4x lanes x 6.0Gb/s into the backplane or is it 4x 12.0Gb/s since it's SAS3? THen at least the 24 drives will have 2.0Gb/s per drive vs 1.0Gb/s
  13. F

The backplane is the BPN-SAS2-EL1 (hence SAS2 6.0gbps) The MB has SAS3 HBA onboard via Broadcom 3008 If I used the HBA onboard vs the M1015, is there any difference?
  14. F

I will get a motherboard with onboard SAS3 HBA, in my supermicro SC847 that has SAS2 backplane. Does this improve transfer rate or not?