Recent content by fishtacos

1. F

Screensavers in Windows 10 do not trigger

Command line: powercfg -energy -trace See if something is causing winders to not idle.
  2. F

Private vmswitch or VLAN'd External vmswitch?

If the VMs are in their own host, use a private vmswitch - if you have more than one host, use a VLAN. Ultimately they serve the same purpose, so use what provides ease of use or better performance. No need to overthink it.
  3. F

vCSA in a homelab?

pfSense requires 2 IP addresses for CARP and most of us are on residential lines with a single IP available, so there's definitely a use case for this.
  4. F

Automatic vMotion of pfSense with 3750g?

A few things here: 1. It sounds like you want to keep your ISP modem as a firewall+router+AP (i.e. existing functionality) but want to have your pfSense instance routing something in your lab setup. This will work, just keep in mind that to have anything Internet facing that needs open ports...
  5. F

1. Modem port on switch would be VLAN2, untagged inbound and outbound. 2. While my switch is set up with all ports (except for the WAN access port) trunking all VLANs, which I do so I don't have to remember which port to plug into from the ESXi hosts, the minimum would be only those ports that...
  6. F

Correct - there should not be any untagged packets coming into the denominated WAN access port, and if there are, they will be removed, necessarily. This is probably better left to someone who is familiar with Cisco switches, but the functionality must exist in Cisco switches, since they...
  7. F

If you're setting up VLANs, I don't see the need to dedicate an entire physical NIC to the WAN VLAN, but yes you could do that. This is what I do, and others as well, according to similar posts here and on other forums. My setup is as follows. I'm using an HP switch, so the VLAN terminology...
  8. F

vCSA in a homelab?

HA requires 2 hosts - you might be thinking of vSAN and HA combined together, which ups the requirements to vSAN's minimums, which is 3 (or 2 with a witness host)
  9. F

RDMA in ESXi 6.7 on ConnectX-2 Cards

My research indicates that there is no way to support ESXi 6+ with CX2 and RDMA. I have had luck with firmware flashing and passing through the CX2 cards in Windows Server 2012 with RDMA support, but YMMV. It's simply a matter of old drivers not being compatible with the new ESXi versions.
  10. F

VMware vSAN Performance :-(

Your experience closely resembles mine. Due to the simplicity of vSAN, however, I've decided to stick with it rather than set up storage VMs. Its performance is good enough for my uses currently. My setup is a 2-node robo-cluster with a witness host, so it's mirrored, and I've deduplication...
  11. F

ESXi 6.5 Brand New Install "Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password"

One of my esxi servers occasionally loses the ability to log in via root - I need to either reboot or reset the password via a host profile application. It is also the host that runs the pfsense instance. The thing is, the WAN connection is isolated on VLAN 2, which only pfsense is connected to...
  12. F

ConnectX or ConnectX-2?

What's strange is that Mellanox's own listing does show this as a ConnectX (1) card, which leads to additional confusion. The IBM part number seems to correspond to CX2 but Mellanox's site corresponds with CX1.
  13. F

ConnectX or ConnectX-2?

I am trying to get some help in identifying the proper version of this IBM OEM card purchased from this ebay listing. According to the description it is a ConnectX-2 QDR VPI card. The ESXi PCI listing reads: MT26428 and doesn't recognize it as compatible with any inbox driver. At this point I...
  14. F

Setup for torrents (thrashing)

Changing the cache maximum to the limit (1800 MB) for uTorrent (obviously this varies with client), made a world of difference for me in terms of timeouts and disk thrashing. Provided you have enough RAM, which under 2GB isn't much these days, you can coalesce writes (and offload some reads as...
  15. F

Sun Oracle F40 400GB PCI-e SSD - 65$

I think I'm just taking issue with your 99% vs. 100% comment. I own 2 of these F40 cards, and 1 of the 4 modules in a single card has indeed gone bad for me, much like several others. What struck me as odd was your switching out a 1 of 4 modules per card in some fashion to arrive at 100% health...