Recent content by firworks

1. F

MICRON 1100 2TB 6G SFF for $59

I bought one of the Micron 1100 from the first link in OP and it arrived today. 168TBW with 9 power cycles and 44K PoH. Seems like a pretty good deal to me for 56$. I might buy a few more.
  2. F

Need a rack? This is pretty neat.

Got a little follow up for this that maybe will be useful to someone some day. Found this thread, thought it was an awesome idea and immediately started trying to piece together a kit. I sent a message to Penn Elcom's Twitter account just asking them if I was ordering the right parts and they...
  3. F

Issues Running 2x CPUs in Hyve V1 (Supermicro X9DRD-LF)

I used this link: https://www.supermicro.com/products/archive/motherboard/x9drd-lf Which has bios and BMC downloads on the right. Maybe choose between the X9DRD-iF and the LF which ever one has a newer version. Or if they're the same it probably doesn't matter.
  4. F

Just heard back from eSISO. They're shipping me a new systemboard.
  5. F

This is a full integrated package so PSU that should match the chassis and board and it came with the 2 x 8 pins connected but the 2 x 4 pin connectors do not have any matching connection from the PSU. The manual from Supermicro says those 2 x 4 pins are optional so I don't think that's the...
  6. F

Howdy, I recently bought a barebones Hyve V1 off eBay to build a Pfsense system. My plan was to use 2 x E5-2630L V2s. Realistically I only need the 1 but I need the second to use the PCI-E slot which I planned to use for a SFP card to run back to my core switch. Initially, the system arrived...
  7. F

Understanding Corosync Quorum for Proxmox Cluster

I've been running a 3 node hyperconverged cluster on Proxmox with Ceph for almost a year now. Recently I had a particular single threaded workload that really benefits from fast cores so I added a fourth node to the cluster with a much faster CPU but limited other resources. It allows me to...
  8. F

AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

I found a document from Cisco about it. There are several compatible nodes that could be in it. Like tjk said above the 300$ one has the M3 nodes in it, but there are also M4 nodes and M5 nodes that are V3/V4 and Xeon Scalable V1 respectively. However, if they have two seemingly identical...
  9. F

AVOID - 4U, 2x Node, 4x E5 V3/V4, 56x LFF SAS3 3.5" bay - $299 - CISCO UCS C3260

Also I think that server is V1/V2 not V3/V4 and DDR3. The listing says as much and it matches the Cisco datasheet. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c3160-rack-server/datasheet-c78-732578.html I've got a mystery Dell XS23-TY I'm currently messing...
  10. F

From the look of those trays I'd think you could just slot bare drives into it like in a 45 Drives storinator.
  11. F

GPU price has dropped precipitously in last few months

I was at Microcenter a few days ago and they had a fully stocked GPU aisle with every single model and class of GPU in stock. No waiting in lines or taking tickets. 3090s were between 1900-2200$ depending on model. They even had some of the lowest end AMD GPUs (6500xt) at MSRP.
  12. F

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Bought one on... the 21st? And it arrived today (24th). Jan 2018 Manufacture Date 29K Power on Hours 15 Power Cycles I've already bought a few of these months ago so I knew the seller was legit but thought I'd post what showed up as far as the newer date code vs. the PoH.
  13. F

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

It's a great price, but I've got 50TB free currently. Is that really enough free space though is the question...?
  14. F

Hardware to run pfsense ?

Wow that thing is pure sex. AND it's running an Epyc CPU. I can see why it's so expensive. Definitely stands out against Netgate's offerings.
  15. F

Intel SSD DC P3605 - Mid August 2021 - 199$

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254670944290 Saw these show up again for under 200$. I thought I'd post a screenshot so when it gets StH'd and jumps to 400$ at least people can see the history. Claims to be at least 90% drive life left which should be ~12.5PBW.