Recent content by fatmcgav

1. F

Unable to get Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F to USB boot

So after a few go's, I managed to get the ESXi 7 installer to boot in UEFI mode from a USB drive. From there, I was able to install ipmicfg and reset the onboard IPMI. Also managed to find a tutorial on how to flash the LSI controller from the UEFI shell, so that's in IT mode now. Final thing...
  2. F

So I've had another poke through the BIOS this evening, and not finding anything referencing CSM or Compatibility Support Module... Any other suggestions? Thanks again
  3. F

Migrating napp-it to new hardware

Hey there, So I've currently purchased some new hardware for my Esxi/napp-it aio as I couldn't fit any more drives in the current case. I'm currently planning the migration from old to new hardware. I'm going to do a fresh install of esxi and napp-it ovf on the new hardware. When it comes to...
  4. F

EU WTB: UK - Supermicro 3U or 4U storage chassis

Damn, I've literally just had a 847 36bay chassis turn up. Would've bit your hand off at that price though...
  5. F

Hey there, So I've recently purchased a new storage server that includes a Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F. Unfortunately it looks like the previous owner failed to reset the IPMI, so I'm currently locked out... I managed to reset the IPMI network config via the BIOS, and so can hit the login page...
  6. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

I'm starting out with 12 SATA HDDs plus a couple of SSDs, so hopefully a 900w psu should be enough to start with. I can always add a 2nd if start adding more drives... Lucokly I managed to find one on ebay for £50, which was a bit of a bargain.
  7. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

So I've been and done it now... Managed to find a decent deal on a 36 bay CSE-847, loaded with a Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F motherboard, a pair of E5 2660v2 CPUs and 144GB of DDR3 ECC memory. Only bit I need to do is swap out the stock PSU's for a 920W SuperQuiet version, and possibly swap out...
  8. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

Thanks again @itronin So Yeh, I've currently got an x10sl7-f board which is fully populated with 32Gb of 1600mhz ecc mem... I currently run a handful of vms in addition to the nas vm; however I'm looking to move a lot of that off to a 4 node rpi4 k3s cluster I've recently built... So that...
  9. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

One more thought I've just had is around the re-use of my existing MB. A lot of the 846/847 chassis I'm seeing have an X9 dual-cpu board built in, and some have one or two CPU's included. So is there any merit in swapping out the bundled MB for my mATX X10SL7-F board? Other than my board...
  10. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

Thanks for all the info @itronin. Lots of bits to think about. Correct that the current 2308 is broken out into 8 sata ports, so I would need to combine into a sas expander. I hadn't even considered buying another 2308 to run the other 8 bays though. That does sound like the simplest and most...
  11. F

EU WTB: UK - Supermicro 3U or 4U storage chassis

Hi there, I'm looking for a Supermicro 3U or 4U storage chassis, like the 836 or 846. Without motherboard preferred, as I'm planning on transplanting an existing server-grade NAS. Let me know what you've got. Thanks Gavin
  12. F

Supermicro NAS Upgrade

So the time has finally come to increase the storage on my current ESXi/NAS AIO. Current specs are: Fractal Node 804 case Supermicro X10SL7 MB, onboard LSI2308 flashed to IT mode. Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3 32GB RAM 6x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA3 SATA HDDs - General storage in RAIDZ2 2x 250GB Samsung...
  13. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

Awesome, cheers for that... Worked a treat :)
  14. F

Napp-IT / ESXi issues

That's what I expected to see, but there's no tftp option under services... This was a manual napp-it install onto an Omnios host if that makes any difference...