Recent content by Fasterfour

1. F

Dealing with HDD vibration

Cheap ass tower case from Newegg. I've now got the drives mounted suspended so that they don't transmit vibration. The downside is drive density sucks. Not a problem for me now, but will be as I need to add drives. Investigating benchmarking tests at the moment.
  2. F

Data on this issue is sparse on the web, but it can definitely be a problem even with enterprise grade equipment. Here's some references I've dug up: Study on drive to drive vibration performance effects From the author of bonnie++ Fan induced vibrations impacting performance Hitachi glossy on...
  3. F

I'm not concerned with noise from the drives. My issue is with the vibration from one drive seeking while another drive is writing and therefore impacting the performance of the drive writing. Your setup obviously eliminates drive to drive vibration, but would be a challenge to fit in a case...
  4. F

I've started putting together a new storage server. One problem I'm working through is how to minimize drive to drive vibration. Has anybody worked through a good solution in their builds?
  5. F

supermicro X8SI6-F discontinued?

With the X8SI6 can you passthrough the LSI2008 controller with ESXi? I would assume that it is handled just like a controller in a PCIe slot. Can anyone confirm?