Recent content by familybot

1. F

HGST 60 Bay (12Gbps) HDD Restrictions?

I've got 5 of these sitting new in boxes. I plan on selling 4 of them but I want to do a proper unboxing video first. It'll be a few weeks before I get to it though. (Assuming I'm still here after running a 220V line.) I can't give you any first-hand knowledge but I've been perusing the manual...
  2. F

General Help Expanding on LSI 9211-8i

Yes. Theoretically, yes. In practice, depends on expander and controller. (see: HP SAS Expander Owner's Thread) That last link is referring to another popular SAS expander by HP. That one can be had for $15 on ebay now but, relevant in your case, only supports SATA at 3Gbps (SAS @ 6Gbps with...
  3. F

Controller Recomendation for a SAS-846EL1

Yes, you only need 1 SAS controller to control all 24 drives. The backplane has a SAS expander chip built in. Your choice of card will depend on how you want to configure your drives - hardware raid, software raid, jbod... The H700 is fine for RAID but AFAIK can't be flashed to IT mode. As...
  4. F

Server rails confusion

Universal rails would be fine for you (but not much $ savings). The first drawback to L, shelf-type rails is that they require a few millimeters below the chassis which can be a problem if you are mounting rack units directly above/below each other. The second issue, as you mentioned, is that...
  5. F

Canada [WTB] Supermicro Rails MCP-290-00014-00

Not sure if you're still working on this, but the MCP-290-00114 is the outer rail portion of the MCP-290-0058 Rail Kit. The MCP-290-0058 is short and will only extend to 27". The MCP-290-0053 extends to 36.4" and is easy to find on ebay. Check to see if your system is compatible. For example...
  6. F

Supermicro Backplane Compatibility (CSE-827)

Does anyone know if the backplane (BPN-SAS-827HD) in the SuperServer 6026TT-HDTRF (2U, 12-bay LFF, 2-node) can be replaced with a backplane (BPN-SAS-826A) for the CSE-826 chassis? The Twin backplane uses proprietary connections to connect 6 drives to each motherboard. I'd prefer SFF-8087 ports...