Recent content by fake-name

1. F

Kingston A2000 1TB SSD Review

I mean, now I know that, but the patch doesn't exactly help my system from periodically hard-locking 4 months ago. Kingston is now on my "never buy" list, along with seagate SSDs (I had 3 which all failed!).
  2. F

Kingston A2000 1TB SSD Review

Not discussed: These SSDs (or at least ones made before a specific point) have a PCIe power saving bug that causes them to hard-lock on linux: See Solid state drive/NVMe - ArchWiki I hit this issue myself (admittedly on the 250 GB version)...
  3. F

So I bought a winterfell node

You have to make up your own, the OCP spec quite clearly documents the pinout for the debug header. Or stick a graphics card in the thing. That's probably the better option if you already bought one and didn't do the research to figure out how to talk to it beforehand (really?).
  4. F

Intel 8x NVMe 2.5" U.2 Hot Swap Bay - $120 seller offer

And man, they have a very interesting variety of stuff. Computer parts, kids toys, and ladies swimwear/clothing. I have no idea what industry they're centered in.
  5. F

Dual Xeon-D

Yeah, major PITA that. Anyone have some 16 GB RDIMMS they want to sell? I'm on the market for 8 2133 or 2400.
  6. F

ES Xeon Discussion

I guess my question then is if you can generalize from sequential s-spec values (is that what you're doing?). QRG6 is a 4214, QRG7 is a 4215, QRG8 is a pentium 4?, and QRG9 is 5215. It seems like they're not purely sequential. Anyways, reading back through the last 10 thread pages, I found...
  7. F

ES Xeon Discussion

I got there, it just took me a while. Heh.
  8. F

ES Xeon Discussion

Sorry, yeah, I get that. Basically, I'm worried that QRG6 is a early ES version, e.g. more likely to have issues. At least CPU-World calls out the QRG6 as "The processor supports DDR4-2133 memory.", while the SRFB9 is documented as supporting DDR4-2400. Mostly, is this stuff documented...
  9. F

ES Xeon Discussion

Good to know. Is that from https://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/QR/QRG6.html ? I see that Xeon Silver 4214 - Intel - WikiChip lists it as the "QS" s-spec, but I don't think they list any devices as "ES", at least that I can find, so I'm uncertain if it's just "they call everything QS", or if it's...
  10. F

ES Xeon Discussion

I'm considering picking up a machine with 2 Xeon Silver 4214 QRG6 2.20GHz 12C. These are cascade lake parts, and from what I can find they aren't the same sSpec as the released variant of this processor (which is SRFB9). I think the primary difference is SRFB9 supports DDR4-2400, whereas these...
  11. F

Eaton managed PDU (208V) $120 NIB

From reading a lot of the marketing wank for these things, here's what all the adjectives seem to mean: Metered It has a current sensor somewhere. Maybe for each outlet, maybe for the entire PDU. Individually metered Each outlet has current monitoring of some sort. The resolution of the...
  12. F

Eaton managed PDU (208V) $120 NIB

If someone has one of these, can you comment on the resolution of the power measurement? I have some avocent smart-PDUs, but they only measure in 0.1A increments, which mean it's only good to ~24/12W (240V/120V respectively). This means they're not useful for things like small appliances...
  13. F

Dual Xeon-D

So some fun drama with these. Of the 4 nodes I'm running, I had 3 SSD variants. 1 SK Hynix Gold P31, one Samsung SSD 970 evo, and 2 Kingston A2000. Both of the nodes running the Kinsgton A2000 SSDs would fall over under any IO loading. The other two nodes survived fine. I could repeatedly...
  14. F

Dual Xeon-D

So my build with 2 boards is done: It works fine, though the power supply situation is kind of ridiculous: That's 2 Supermicro PWS-351-1H power supplies shucked and stacked, with the fans moved into a 3D printed bracket. I had to shuck the power supplies to get them to fit vertically and...
  15. F

Dual Xeon-D

Maybe an opportunity to learn PCB design and layout!