Recent content by F1ydave

1. F1ydave

Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ Ignoring BIOS PCIe Settings - Odd Issue, same on two motherboards

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am looking at increasing my ram speed since my board is on 1333mhz Samsung right now. Would be nice to go up to 1600/1866. I found these lots for $118 but not sure if they will work since supermicro's recommended memory page is the worst...
  2. F1ydave

AMD Home ESXi w/TrueNAS Build Out

I am in a similar boat. I recently had a power outage that corrupted a few of my VMDK's during a backup, which apparently wouldnt let the psu appliance shutdown the server.. After a week of trying 100 different suggestions, the last update of 2011 HDD Regenerator software fixed the platter...
  3. F1ydave

Homelab - ESXI 6.7 wont remount drive after power outage

Update: vCenter added the drive to a different server on its own. I dont know why. It appears to be blank as well. I guess I am going to have to try to recover the drive now. I know vCenter can do some crazy stuff but its amazing to me that it re-mounted the drive to a different physical server...
  4. F1ydave

Homelab - ESXI 6.7 wont remount drive after power outage

ESXI 6.7 wont remount drive after power outage. I have tried 30 different CLI tutorials claiming to have a fix for this. It appears this has been an issue since Esxi 4.0. I am surprised that VMware has never released a tool to fix this. Drive works fine, DiskInternals VMFS Recovery had no...
  5. F1ydave

An insane idea for temperature control

Crazy/Insane is where most of us live on here. :D Did you ever follow through with this? Lots of people do fan swaps to lower the sound level. I have done that but when you have multiple devices even the quiet hum adds up. I personally wouldn't do rocks/blocks or water/oil jugs. Consider...
  6. F1ydave

Napp-it Virtual Machine Memory Usage Critical

I am on Server 2016 Essential. I came across this article om SMB's in windows. Should I consider following the instructions to disable SMB1 to enable SMB2/3? How to detect, enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3 in Windows
  7. F1ydave

Oh yeah, turn them off...thats easier than reconnecting, lol. That's why you make the big bucks!
  8. F1ydave

ESXi 6.7u3, Napp-It AIO, & Tuning

You have a very similar build to me. Gea answers a number of your questions that I asked him over the last month or two. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/napp-it-virtual-machine-memory-usage-critical.26714/ I dedicated 40gb of ram per Gea's suggestion to Napp-it and since I...
  9. F1ydave

Everything has been going well. I am not entirely sure I have my vmx3 setup correctly since vcenter in 6.7 is so different from 5.5 which I knew how to use. I am missing an IP for some reason...I may have to delete it all and rebuild the vmkernals and switch. Anyway, I click logs just for the...
  10. F1ydave

That reply helped me figure out that NFS was actually defaulted off still. Connected! Thank you Gea
  11. F1ydave

I have been able to successfully map my windows 7 to NFS. I am struggling to get my vCenter to connect to the NFS share. I want to host my future VM's on the NFS. I keep going back to the idea that my vmkernal/vSwitch are set up incorrectly. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? The only...
  12. F1ydave

I guess that solves that. I am not about to try to build my own driver from another linux driver.
  13. F1ydave

With CopyOnWrite, I shouldn't miss the power loss feature that slog would offer me. In the last 5 years, I have only lost power twice for an extended period since I have a backup power supply. I want to test the read/write speed of the Iodrive2 vs my striped mirrored WD blacks. Which test is...
  14. F1ydave

I have to say, I am really excited about this. Even though this is all new to me, Napp it is very well organized. Thank you for the help with the raid 10 creation. Would 40gb of ram be better than doing arc/slog or in addition to?
  15. F1ydave

If I create a pool from 4 disks as vdev mirror, does it automatically stripe them? Or do I need to make 2 drive mirrors and stripe them in the next step? I am fumbling my way through this. I made 2 - 2 drive mirrors figured out how to upgrade the zpool to 5000.