Recent content by epimetheus

1. E

Does there exist a 3x5.25 to 5x3.5 drive rack that's slotted?

I doubt you'll find a 5 bay 3x5.25 with slots. I think it's a simple physics issue. The dimensions for the slots plus 5 drives adds up to more that 5.25".
  2. E

Need advice on Massive New Plex server

I just built this: Anniversary LGA2011 build I've been thoroughly impressed with the performance for the cost (12C/24T for under $500, including rackmount case). I've got dual E5-2620 V1's and 64Gb RAM in it right now. I'm running Unraid with Plex, MakeMKV, and Handbrake dockers. I'm...
  3. E

Bloomberg Reports China Infiltrated the Supermicro Supply Chain We Investigate

Good point about the lack of further analysis. If this truly is what they say it is, then hopefully someone is analyzing the chips.
  4. E

Bloomberg Reports China Infiltrated the Supermicro Supply Chain We Investigate

"Once the implant was identified and the server removed, Sepio's team was not able to perform further analysis on the chip." This is ludicrous! Did it self destruct? What kind of self respecting security firm can't analyze a supposed hardware breach after it's been removed from service...
  5. E

External 5.25" Enclosure w/ 3+ Bays

"+getMessage("iPrintVerKit")+" I've got this in a 5 bay version. I can't seem to find where I bought the 5-bay version though. PC-Pitstop has the 8 bay and servercase.com has the 2-bay. Edit: "+getMessage("iPrintVerKit")+"
  6. E

WTB Norco 4220 or 4224

I've got a 4020 I'm looking to move. I also have the (3) 120mm fan mid-plane, but have never installed it.
  7. E

Dell X-Series Switches - 2 Side by Side?

Optional X-Series 1RU Tandem Switch Tray supports two X4012 switches mounted side-by-side X4012 is only 12 ports, so 10 usable SFP/SFP+ ports with dual uplinks between the switches.
  8. E

GPS-sync'd NTP

We use it in electrical substations to be able to sync events across the electrical grid. When there's a fault on the electrical system, modern protective relay generate event reports that record the conditions of the grid pre and post fault. This is important for fault analysis. It's...
  9. E

GPS-sync'd NTP

That's the main reason I prefer time sync input cards vs. full GPS clock cards. Keeping the clock and the antenna as a system is often easier.
  10. E

GPS-sync'd NTP

Satellite clock and antenna: {{pageData.title}} Satellite Clock w/ NTP server (antenna separate): {{pageData.title}} I design GPS clock systems for electrical substations quite often. If the card you show above can receive IRIG-B, PPS, 1kPPS, etc. then the SEL-2401 might be enough. It's...
  11. E

80mm by 38mm PWM fans (Extremely Quiet/Silent?)

Not possible. You can't have your cake and eat it too. There isn't any magical technology that increases cooling efficiency such that you can get equivalent cooling with less energy and noise. It's a trade-off, If you want less energy and noise, you will have to settle for less airflow.
  12. E

Tapatalk

Make that 3. Looks good now. Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
  13. E

Tapatalk

I'm getting an error message when I try to connect via Tapatalk.
  14. E

Toshiba announces 12 new 3.5"desktop drives

Question: What's the difference between DT01ACA300 and PH3300U-1I72? Is the latter just the retail version of the former?