Recent content by eloich

1. E

Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

Hello, As per the document at https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/dell-emc-networking-vep1445-vep1485_release-notes1_en-us.pdf on page 21, you should be able to read the tag number while the unit boots off, using the console. YMMV, but pretty much what I'm seeing when I boot off mine. So for the...
  2. E

Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

Got a 620 and I've been using cheap 10Gtek SFP adapters (some10G and some 1G, in both copper and OC version) and it seems to just work. I don't have any other brand to play with at the moment so I cannot say if compatibility should be universal. Hope that helps.
  3. E

I'll answer the questions for which I know the answers. 1. Fan is (or should be) almost silent (if the unit has been operating in a normal environment prior). The unit I received was louder because the fan was abnormally loud as it was defective (had some kind of metallic powder stuck on it...
  4. E

Sold

You've got PM.
  5. E

Happy that my somewhat old clumsy fingers were actually able to figure out that one. As someone surely said before "when there is a switch, there is a way"! Kidding aside, I may or may not be on the lookout to try further OS'es on that particular unit in the near future, as I'm tempted to put it...
  6. E

From what I can see, they are indeed ix2 and ix3, as can be seen in what pciconf -lv returns above. PfSense also shows a total of 8 interfaces; 4 ix interfaces and 4 ig interfaces. Here is a bigger snippet of what the command returns (you can actually see the Atheros wireless device in there...
  7. E

Just one more thing before I head over to other house chores... Figured out which ports were actually 10gb; they're the ones labeled as Ge5 and Ge6, so both rj45 ports at the very right, near the power port. Finally, and that's probably just for my unit, the fan is rather noisy and upon...
  8. E

Well, I've got good news and bad news... First, good news: I've got all NICs working. PfSense is now seeing the all the NICs in all their glory, and they can even be selected in the GUI interfaces menu. See below: ix1@pci0:5:0:1: class=0x020000 rev=0x11 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x15c4...
  9. E

Hmmm, interesting. If I understand correctly, there are 4 10gb ports; 2 of which are SFP+, and two more are rj45, right? Do you happen to know which of the labeled GEn (GE1 .. GE6) are the 10gb ports? I seem to remember that the initial VeloCloud setup used GE5 and GE6, but for the life of me I...
  10. E

Ok. Got into DiagOS and read through /etc/rc.local . First interesting bit is as follows, and seems to be related to the PIC watchdog. Currently wondering if this could be a workaround to flashing the BIOS (from line 15): # Disable PIC Watch Dog i2cset -y 1 0x22 0 0 b # Set PIC Watch Dog...
  11. E

Thanks for posting the internals. Looks pretty much like the 620 I have, although I only got one fan and the original RAM is 8gb. And this is where I'm kind of stuck. I've been able to install the (pfSense-CE-memstick-serial-2.6.0-RELEASE-amd64 which is the image which allows you to boot from...
  12. E

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to boot into DiagOS and see if I can figure this out. Hopefully it will provide some answers. Cheers,
  13. E

Hello all, I've just put my hands on an Edge 620 (apparently similar to VEP1425, in the VEP1400-X family, with the two SFP+ ports). The unit I received had been totally wiped out so, as you may rightly guess, it rebooted every 5 minutes (watchdog kicking in). Note that only loading Dell's...
  14. E

EXPIRED Edge 610 (Dell VEP1400) - Dual Core Intel, 6x1GbE, 2x1GbSFP+ $100 (eBay)

Looking forward to read about your results/findings. Long time lurker here, and long story short, I picked up a 620 from ebay (the unit that has 2 SFP+ ports, 8Gb of RAM) and have started playing around. What I've found so far: One good thing about this unit: no need for a special serial...