Recent content by El Chorizo

1. E

Vaxiin: Neat IPMI/iDRAC/OOB software stack

Saw a post on HN. Guy had a new account and a bad title description but I thought the project was really cool. Hoping to get it some attention here, maybe someone can post something on HN about it where it gets more traction. Or even a full STH write up. Working with the various versions of IPMI...
  2. E

Anyone know some external power supplies that can power this?

Found some universal ones on Amazon and ordered them. We'll see if one of them works!
  3. E

Anyone know some external power supplies that can power this?

I purchased one of these: SilverStone TS821S INTRODUCTION However, I can't power it using their power supply cards due to the PC limitation. I'm looking for an external (DC 12v/5a) power supply to power each side of this unit... I searched and didn't really find anything for it. Just an old...
  4. E

Best 2.5" SAS HD 2+TB (used)?

Was mostly for speed but size is definitely more important. I'll be taking Stephan's advice and getting some larger SATA drives.
  5. E

Best 2.5" SAS HD 2+TB (used)?

Looking to put together a little storage tower with 8 3+TB 2.5" SAS drives. Cost is an issue, so don't mind going used off eBay. What's a good sweet spot for space and performance (but mostly space)?
  6. E

Need help with RAID enclosure....

Picked up one of these as a cheap external RAID enclosure but the Highpoint Card that comes with it has very little support and doesn't seem to work with the newest Proxmox... HighPoint Global Website I've tried different versions of the driver and the source fails to compile. I wouldn't mind...
  7. E

Battery for LSI 2108 card

Trying to find a cheap source for a (working of course) battery for an LSI 2108 card (LSI SAS 2108 RAID Controller Information and Listing) -- The card is specifically Supermicro SMC2108. Anyone know a cheap source for these? Everything I see is $180 or so and that seems a little expensive.
  8. E

Help me find: Bad ass VM server

What kind of chassis/interconnect are you using?
  9. E

The more I'm thinking the more I like this idea... because I can add an adapter to existing servers and get storage for those too all on the storage host. Nothing I've done before, so I'm a newb at it but I like the idea of this.
  10. E

Austin, TX... but I'll be installing this in Kansas City. Assuming I got it built kind of the way you suggested above but without any drives... what price range are we at?
  11. E

This would be a good idea.. and when I said 20TB of storage, that was slow storage... for fast stuff was thinking ~4TB to answer someone else's question.
  12. E

I'd like to keep it between 5 and 8k.... and I don't need new stuff, I'm fine with stuff that's a couple gens old but still packs a good power to performance/price punch. Also, IPMI equivalent is a must. Used is OK, felt I should specify. Reputable seller kind of required though....
  13. E

I don't really know what I want to be honest... I haven't measured stuff in IOPS in forever... Most of our DB servers I base it on 10k or 15k RPM (single drive) type stuff. I'd say, looking for RAID1 on the mass storage in the size of at least 20TB and maybe a RAID0 SSD or NVMe type thing. 256...
  14. E

I'm thinking it might be a good idea for me to buy a pretty serious VM server to put in our existing hosting service so I can play with it. This will be my money not company money. I'm not cheap, I want something pretty awesome but money is a factor. I'm looking to run either VMWare or...
  15. E

Is there Cheap/Affordable Colocation?

If you find anything let me know. I'm in Austin and haven't found anything cheap here. Tired of paying data foundry huge sums of money.