Recent content by ejecthawk

1. E

NAS and Lightweight Server Build Planning

Not exactly, the model you linked has the X3216 CPU which is lower tier option. I bought the model with the X3421, which is the highest tier option. 4C, 3.4Ghz (4928 Passkmark) vs 2C, 3.0Ghz (2366 Passmark) It looks like the price on Amazon has gone up by about $50 though...
  2. E

Closing the loop here on this one; I did end up picking up a MicroServer for $299. I threw in a boot SSD and a couple adapters to get me to around $335 on the cost of the server, to this point 8GB has been enough so I haven't thrown in another stick. I paired this with 2x10T shucked EasyStores...
  3. E

Looking for router advice before moving to AT&T fiber

Gotcha, that makes sense I was starting to wonder if it was a package issue. Following the guide I did mentioned repos didn't have the correct package and you had to manually load it. Unfortunately his link was to the old community site for Ubitquiti, they changed their site, and the link is...
  4. E

Appreciate the help! Your command is returning illegal instruction: ubnt@RT1:~$ sudo /sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -Dwired -ieth0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf Illegal instruction ubnt@RT1:~$ sudo journalctl -u /sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -Dwired -ieth0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf journalctl: invalid option --...
  5. E

Does anyone have the dumped certificate bypass running on a Edgerouter Lite? I'm following the devicelocksmith guide, but have come across an issue. When trying to manually start wpa_supplicant or on boot it immediately crashes: ubnt@RT1:$ sudo journalctl -u wpa_supplicant-wired@eth0.service --...
  6. E

Been going back and forth on this and I'm almost leaning back towards what I started at, the Microserver. I found it on Amazon for $299.99 with free shipping, $50 or so less than I was finding it before. Add a 240G SSD for $25 and pickup another 8GB UDIMM on eBay f0r about $75 if I need it and...
  7. E

I'll keep an eye out on the deals thread, hopefully something good comes up. Those U-NAS for $33 were a steal, I've seen those cases but at the same price point I think the InWin is a nicer case from what I've seen. On the thoughts of the mATX setup, I'm definitely open to it but it's hard to...
  8. E

Thanks! I've been reading the main site for a few years now and occasionally hit up the forums, but only lurked. I looked in the deals section, are those ones you've referenced fairly old? Couldn't find much recent on the Supermicro 721 case and really the only recent Xeon D post I see is an...
  9. E

Thanks for the suggestion, I came across that server in my search as well. I think by time you get another 8GB DIMM you're pretty close to the same price point. So for pluses you get the ECC, more PCIe slots, and AMT (which is interesting, I wasn't aware of this). On minuses it's larger, older...
  10. E

I am looking to build a new server to replace my Dell R510 with. When I first got the server about 5 years ago, I was doing a lot of virtualization and messing around with it as a lab, but in recent years I don't spend as much time doing so. I got the server while in school and am now employed...