Recent content by ehfortin

1. E

Canada Hp Proliant Dl60 Gen9 Rackmount Server - Xeon E5-2609 V3 6-core 1.9ghz - 8gb Ram - no HDD 512$

Confirmed on HPE quickspecs: Product documentation ehfortin
  2. E

Canada Hp Proliant Dl60 Gen9 Rackmount Server - Xeon E5-2609 V3 6-core 1.9ghz - 8gb Ram - no HDD 512$

It is supposed to be 38 dbA at full operating mode based on this website. If that is the case, it is not too bad. (777403-B21) HP ProLiant DL60 Gen9 (1U) 4LFF Configure-to-order Server ehfortin
  3. E

I've not seen these yet. I have a few ML310e gen8 v2 and they are fine but they are are tower so... not really a good comparison. Xeon E5 v3 are really good on power usage but that said, the design of the server and the way HP installed the fan can make the difference. The small fan in 1U server...
  4. E

Canada HP DL60 Gen9 E5-2609v3, 8GB, 1U Rackmonut Server 510$

I guess HP is cleaning warehouse... HP DL60 Gen9 E5 Server... 821795-P01 from Mike's Computer Shop > SERVERS > Servers Systems Inventory is at 70 at this moment. ehfortin
  5. E

Canada Surface Pro 3 Tablet - 12" Intel i5-4300U 1042$

Another great deal for those looking at such a tablet. Depending on the page, inventory is at 39 or "out of stock". However, the add to cart button is active so they seems to accept order. QG2-00021 - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Tablet Pc - PC-Canada.com Price is good until december 1st 2016 as...
  6. E

If you are looking for a cheap server with Xeon E5-2609, this may be of interest: 821795-P01 - Hp Proliant Dl60 Gen9 Rackmount Server - Xeon E5-2609 V3 6-core 1.9ghz - 8gb Ram - 0tb Hdd - No Os - PC-Canada.com Quantity is now 80 Price is good until October 31st 2016 based on this page. Have fun!
  7. E

10Gb SFP+ single port = cheaper than dirt

That's what I ordered a few months ago. Didn't try to flash them but they are working fine with Windows Server 2012 R2 and VMware ESXi 6.x.
  8. E

CPU performance vs disk access (OmniOS)

The hba (LSI 1068) is passthrough to the VM. That said, I had major issue of having the CPU loaded at 100% on another OmniOS VM that is running on another server with dedicated hba. This one is on a SSD raidz. I first got the problem while doing lot of IOPS on it but I also saw this even if not...
  9. E

ESXI 6.0 Passthrough onboard SATA

I was not sure if it was the case or not. I asked myself a few times after seeing "it's not on the pass-through list" and I figure it was better to repeat Something you already knew then not saying it and looking for the wrong thing. Sorry, I don't know for the SATA. I just checked on my server...
  10. E

If in the DirectPath I/O Configuration screen you are unable to mark a device for passthrough, it means your server is not doing vt-d. You have to make sure you chipset can do it, your processor support it, your bios is allowing it and then, in the directpath I/O configuration, if you click on...
  11. E

If you are to do pass-through to the VM, VMware doesn't need to have a driver for the card. It is your guest OS that will have to support it. If you want to do RDM (Raw Device Mapping) where the AHCI controller stays Under the ESXI control, then yes, you are right, you need a driver at this...
  12. E

Intel Xeon D-1540 10GbE X552/X557 driver/VIB for VMware ESXi 6 coming SOON!

Why is that? Networking? Drivers? Performance? Just trying to figure which aspect is not well covered with these.
  13. E

[SOLVED]Slow speeds between two Connectx-2 machines

I was suspicious that I could have an issue with PCIe speed as it was reported that 3.25 Gbps usually means the PCIe slot you are using is not at the minimum speed required to get 10 Gbps. I downloaded the quickspecs and read again. At the beginning of the document, they tell you that there are...
  14. E

[SOLVED]Slow speeds between two Connectx-2 machines

I've done similar testing with the same ConnectX-2 in a HP ML310e in appropriate PCIe slot and I'm also experiencing about 3.25 Gbps from OmniOS VM to OmniOS VM on another identical server. Everything is under ESXI 6 and VMXNET3 NIC. I tried from ubuntu VM to ubuntu VM and got the same...
  15. E

CPU performance vs disk access (OmniOS)

As a follow-up, I've read a lot of information and up to now, the conclusion is that ESXTOP is not showing anything that could indicate there is a problem. There is some load, yes but not an overload. So I'm still trying to understand how I can have a slow system with loaded CPU as reported by...