Recent content by Dythmar

1. D

Converting an HP DL380e Gen8 14xLFF Server to a Disk Shelf

This is the one i bought: 643705-001 HP SFF BACKPLANE DL380E G8 | eBay
  2. D

Did i go overboard on this micro atx "server" build

Well great news.. they are in fact 512! Easy peasy, now just need the stupid extra cables to arive..
  3. D

Will take this into consideration, however the backplane is def the culprit in the drives not being visable at this time. Bypassing it for direct power and 8087-8482 cable, its visable. Still relearning commands f9r the CLI though so taking me some time to make forward progress.
  4. D

The drives are in the crome toasterbox lookin hackjob, and it does fit in the void between the motherboard and side panel but makes it cramped af. I am also currently exploring a couple cases i was gifted the other day, that would open up a large amount of room for the drives( but wheres the fun...
  5. D

The drive cage is totally custom. I picked these socket storage rails up at harbor freight and strategically drilled holes in them for the hard drive mounting holes. I then used those brackets for converting a 3.5 drive to a 5.25 drive bay, cut down a but and some junk stainless hardware i had...
  6. D

For an update, this seamed to deliver power, but i was hearing a noise like an upset cap would make, and the drives would not spin up, i disconnected these 8 drives and backplane for now in favor of getting everything else functional.
  7. D

Ok so, the 8x 900gb 10k drives are not being seen on the backplane, starting to wonder if I wired it wrong or uts some unknown event. I think its time to take a step back and just focus on what is working while I do some more testing with that backplane and update the LSI firmware. Probably not...
  8. D

Only reason it had a ? Is cuz it has a wire in there on the cable that came with the sff g8 backplane. I left it blank. No issues at boot so must have something right(at least nothing on fire ;P). Haven't gotten past booting, will be getting it running this weekend and will try to update either...
  9. D

This is exactly what I am trying to do. So do I have this correct? I do not want to burn anything up lol.
  10. D

Haven't gotten that far yet, . I'll try to get it a bit more functional this weekend. Haven't even decided the os I want to use. I have windows 10 on it for initial testing, but also playing with Linux options. It currently has Ubuntu on it, but I have a few builds to play with and hope to find...
  11. D

I actually did the math this morning, not sure if it's correct, and mostly did in my head looking at the labels of drives so there is still the need for actual data, which I will obtain before hitting this with a load. BTW it's currently 500w evga that came free with an ebay purchase, but I do...
  12. D

Well as of now it has 6 12v fans, but I do have some 120v fans I was thinking of at the very least putting one on the back, but could potentially replace them all with them. But then I'm getting into questionable energy consumption and noise.
  13. D

I keep seeing all over the place..everyone's rack mount servers with 3 or 5 drives in them.. then here I am looking for a pinout for a cable to a stupid backplane that I shoved in what resembles a homemade toaster, but houses my 8 900gb 10k 2.5 sas drives. And I realized that I have 20+ drives...