Recent content by Dr. Innovation

1. D

Supermicro 4028/4028 with 4090s and cutting the cover?

Well I though I'd report I got two in there. THe heat sinks are just a bit too high so I'm ording 1U active ones. But just for fun here are pics of it where I made a foam-board cover. As you can see I have 2 in there and 3 other GPUs so I can better test power demands. No problem with...
  2. D

Using lower profile heatsink from 2U systems in 4U ?

Great thanks to both of you. I am not worried about noise.. there are 60+ GPUs in that rack and it always sounds like jets are taking off. I was only looking at supermicro branded but if these work that is great. I presume the 2U would be better at cooling. but I've not found any that are...
  3. D

Using lower profile heatsink from 2U systems in 4U ?

I have multiple supermicro 4028-trt and just ebayed some 4029s in which I want to put GPU for my ML work. To get my 4090 monster GPUs to fit in my 4028-trt (and expect to fit in the 4029's that I've ordered) I will need to reduce the height of the CPU heatsink. I realize a lower-profile...
  4. D

Who makes 4090 blowers? I've searched but did find any. I did just search on alibaba and found some but they said they don't actually have them and tried to offer me something else.
  5. D

excellent idea, though I have enough extra covers (from replacing them in older machines), I was not worried about cutting one that will take a lot more work than a bit of box cutting.
  6. D

I'm looking at building a server with 4x4090. I had speced things with the founder editions, but the university supplier could not get them and suggested the replacements and I had not checked their length or height. But the ASUS cards, my only option through our supplier, are too tall, even...
  7. D

Intel Xeon Platinum 8273CL Complete Info Guide

Given this works on a supermicro X11SPA-T(F) with the right bios, do you think it will also work on Super X11DPG-OT-CPU with the same 3.0b microcde? The system page (4029GP-TRT | 4U | SuperServer | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.) says cascade lake needs 3.2 or above so maybe it...
  8. D

ES Xeon Discussion

Great info thanks. I noted that supermico says "BIOS version 3.2 or above is required to support 2nd Gen Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors (codenamed Cascade Lake-R)" So should I be aiming for just the newest if its in all of them. For the 8280 ES.. any known problems. Is the A0 stepping...
  9. D

ES Xeon Discussion

Would the 8280 ES QQ87 28C be good for a supermicro Super X11DPG-OT-CPU server? If so what bios version do I need to get right microcode? What about a SRF81 Intel Xeon Platinum 8273CL? (I've seen some threads with microcode discussion on it too) or 8272CL 2.60GHz 26-Core 35.75MB LGA-3647...
  10. D

Can't download drivers for Virident FlashMax II

Thanks got it working. And using old kernel in new releases seems to work as welll
  11. D

Tyan 8030 with EYPC Engineering Samples?

I'm looking build a worksation with Tyan HX S8030 and an EPYC 64 core. Engineering samples are much cheaper and I use them regularly in my SuperMicro servers but cannot find any data on if they will work in the above MB. I'd prefer the Tyan as its PCIe4 vs the PCIe3 for the H11 SuperMicros...
  12. D

Can't download drivers for Virident FlashMax II

I know its an ancient thread, but I'm looking for Linux drivers. I do have windows drivers (pm me if you need them), but really want to use it under Linux. Does anyone have Linux drivers?