Recent content by DistantStar

1. D

Introducing Project TinyMiniMicro Home Lab Revolution

I'd like to see if you can manage to jam a 10 gig PCI-E card in one of them. I was researching a similar project recently and stumbled across this post on the Lenovo support forums: ThinkCentre Tiny - PCIe Riser card: p/n 01AJ902, Taisol, M920q, M910q-English Community You have to find the...
  2. D

10 GB switch - questions

I just got in a Qnap QSW-M408-2C. All of the new Qnap M408 series have 4 10gbe ports, you just pay more if you want more media type options. All models have 4 SFP+ ports, then each model above the base model adds 2 more BASE-T options. Those BASE-T ports also support 2.5 and 5 gig. It's managed...
  3. D

AIO OmniOS 1500 vs 9000mtu open-vm-tools

Thanks, this is what finally allowed me to set the mtu after getting the link busy errors every other way. However, after setting the mtu to 9000 here, it seems to take a while longer for the network to come up after a reboot. It used to be accessible via SSH or SMB as soon as the console login...
  4. D

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Thanks, I'm looking at the new QSW-M408 series now which is managed, but we shouldn't expect them to suddenly become picky about the cable branding now I'm guessing.
  5. D

Are the QNAP switches picky about the transceiver module vendor branding for their SFP+ ports? Like on the QSW-308S. Or will they accept pretty much any one like a 10GtekStore from Amazon?
  6. D

Need recommendations for 10 Gbps NIC cards and switch for home lab

Saw this when Googling the model number, you can replace the fans Noctuas if sound is a concern: Kinda annoying you have to spend an extra $60 to quiet it down but hey there's options
  7. D

WTB: 120MM Fan Wall Bracket for 4U Norco

I'm still interested, price depending. I got desperate and put in 80mm Noctuas, and while it's much quieter I think temps would benefit much more from 120s.
  8. D

Flash OEM (IBM) Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN with stock firmware?

The NIC appears to be completely dead after rebooting ESXI. Ebay seller will be shipping a replacement, not sure if I'll try the firmware upgrade a second time...
  9. D

Flash OEM (IBM) Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN with stock firmware?

Got one of the cheapie X-3's off ebay. Tried to update to to firmware 2.42.5000, which is the recommend version for running with the Vmware EXSi 3.17.70.1 driver. Getting MFE_VERIFY_ERROR, would this indicate a bad flash chip?
  10. D

If connect a device with 2.5GBase-T or 5GBase-T support into an "older" 10 Gigabit switch's SFP+ port loaded with an adapter module that does that state 2.5/5/10Gbase-T support, but switch itself doesn't explicitly state 2.5GBase-T and 5GBase-T support, then the link is going to operate at 1...
  11. D

Netgear MS510TX Owners/Users - Opinions ?

If I wanted to use the 10gig SFP+ port on the MS510TX to directly connect to my server with a Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN MCX311A-XCAT HBA with a Twinax DAC cable, which capability type would I select for a fs.com order? Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2M 10G SFP+ DAC Twinax Copper Cable
  12. D

That's what I feared. Anyone still fabricating and selling their own homemade ones? I guess people have moved on better chassis's these days...
  13. D

Alternatively, is there ANYWHERE to buy this now? I've searched high and low for months. Tried many other forums, contacted Norco, etc. I'm getting desperate, lol...