Recent content by discoeels

1. D

PCI-SIG Starts Work on PCIe 7.0 for 2025 and Why it Matters for Servers

Is it easier to have the same signaling for all three? I chose 400Gbe for my technical writing topic last summer. Hot and power-hungry, too but looks different when factored with the amount of traffic they move. Packets,IO,etc/mW. I don't remember how the ratios were presented.
  2. D

PCI-SIG Starts Work on PCIe 7.0 for 2025 and Why it Matters for Servers

So, if I'm not mistaken, DDR5, PCIe 7.0, and 100Gbe lanes would all use PAM4 signaling. Not an EE or anything, but what would be the implications of that?
  3. D

Cheap 8+ ports sfp+ - low noise

Do you know if RDMA works on this switch? I saw a comment on Chiphell that said the RTL chips used for these lines do not.
  4. D

edge router eBGP hardware in 2022 - not a walk in da park at all?

Oh, I meant for myself; I don't have one. There would be no point to it(for me) anyway.
  5. D

edge router eBGP hardware in 2022 - not a walk in da park at all?

This is really wild. Too bad "because I want it" isn't enough justification for a chunk of IPv6 from ARIN.
  6. D

Is the bracket needed for backplane swap on CSE-826?

I did, this was laziness more than anything else. This chassis turned out to be a huge chore, PDU swapped too. I'm not sure what I expected for 90 bucks, it was an old x8 Netwitness appliance. Maybe saved 50 bucks all in.
  7. D

Intel Arc A380 GPU is Out in China

Not surprised these are pedestrian GPUs. They seem to be in it for the long haul, so long as investors are at least.
  8. D

Any downsides to old(er) Layer 2/3 switches?

You're fine, I think I read an old doc or something. It will work fine and those support SSH and console access anyway. Just an FYI, On my SG200-26 my firmware and bootloader were really old, so I had to install newer versions before the latest. I also have to explicitly add VLANs to trunk...
  9. D

I'm pretty sure that the web GUI on the Cisco SG-2/3/500 switches is Java-based, but I've never had a problem with it. One upside to those is they're supported by Cisco until October 2023.
  10. D

Cheap 8+ ports sfp+ - low noise

This unmanaged switch would be great for VSAN, CEPH, etc. Room for a 3-5 node cluster with a port for iSCSI for VM/config backup/block storage; VSAN is fickle with disparate hardware. Also one for NAS, an SFP port to connect to the gigabit network, etc.
  11. D

I suggest one of these, the 10 port Catalyst ws-c2960-cg for your 10 port if all you care about is gigabit. The ability to configure static routes and virtual interfaces is really nice and you get Cisco IOS with all the other bells and whistles. I have two sg200s and they work fine, but I'm not...
  12. D

Is the bracket needed for backplane swap on CSE-826?

The chassis came with BPN-SAS-826El1 but there was no metal bracket installed with it. The backplane I bought has one, but the screws securing the old backplane aren't long enough to secure the assembly. Can I go without the metal bracket or is that a bad idea?
  13. D

Supermicro LGA2011-3 1U Server (6018U-TR4+?) w/ Rails $325 shipped

Something like this would be perfect for me if I had somewhere to put it. I'm not attempting to have a 2P 1U server in a small townhouse.
  14. D

power supplies for CS826 chassis

I see it now. This actually works out well for me.
  15. D

power supplies for CS826 chassis

What is the difference between the PDB-PT826-S8824 and PDB-PT826-8824? I'm glad I saw this because I just bought one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/234549555427 It was delivered the other day. In good condition, it's a barebones Netwitness appliance, but it looks like I will have to buy...