Recent content by Deci

1. Deci

threadripper workstation boards

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-server-motherboard-tyan-tomcat-ex-s8015-spied/ this is a step in the right direction, just need someone to show threadripper some love.
  2. Deci

Patrick, have you spoken with anyone from supermicro about their epyc/threadripper plans? they seem to have made an attempt at a couple epyc boards/syetems but when i was looking to buy them i couldnt find anyone that could actually get the H11SSL series boards and ended up with the gigabyte...
  3. Deci

Is anyone aware of any upcoming threadripper motherboards (x399?) that are aimed at actually being a serious business workstation board? (32/64gb ecc dimm verification/support (for 256gb/512gb), one/two 10gbit ethernet/sfp+ ports, IPMI, no stupid RGB LEDs all over the thing) It seems to have...
  4. Deci

Is there a way to add IPMI to a non SM motherboard?

looking back at this while thinking about ways to get IPMI like access to consumer hardware on a larger scale, an easier way (albeit not cheap/suitable for a single machine) would be to just have an IP KVM with virtual media and a webrelay/webrelay-quad/x600 with one or more 16 way boards (...
  5. Deci

Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 wont boot/install server 2016?

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/problem-with-ga-mz31-ar0-the-first-single-socket-amd-epyc-motherboard.18518/ i saw in here IOMMU can cause issues. with the pre installed OS and moved back to the box it will boot with IOMMU disabled (the option is buried in the NB chipset options)
  6. Deci

Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 wont boot/install server 2016?

I have 2x systems with gigabyte MZ31-AR0 motherboards (Epyc) and i am trying to install server 2016 onto them, however if you boot off of server 2016 media (virtually mounted via ipmi or physically connected via a sata DVD drive) it sits on the windows logo you get as the setup is loading in the...
  7. Deci

LSI 9361 bios

I have a few LSI 9362-8i (NEC OEM version of the 9361-8i) that i am trying to get cachecade 2.0 working on. I have the LSI hardware license keys (LSI00290), but they display an error that the hardware license key is incorrect for that model of card, however i cant find any hardware license key...
  8. Deci

10GBE + 2x M.2 on a single card?

Dual M.2 2280 PCIe SSD & single-port 10GbE expansion card qnap have decided this needs to exist so they can use a single slot in their nas units to provide both SSD drives for caching and 10GBE networking. its only got a 4x connector so performance has to be limited somewhere and i cant see any...
  9. Deci

Scalable Xeon SAS3 Storage Server

try testing with 2x raid z2 pools instead of mirrors, all mirrors will give the best iops but is the least space efficient, typically with an SSD pool you can take the performance hit for raidz2 pools for better space efficiency without a great a penalty to iops.
  10. Deci

Norco 4220 /w Intel SAS Expander

the version 2 board is 1/3 the price of the version 3 one though if you dont need remote power on/off. these are the models of the power boards. https://www.amazon.com/CSE-PTJBOD-CB2-Power-Board-for-Jbod/dp/B004CZ61UC https://www.amazon.com/SUPERMICRO-COMPUTER-POWER-CONTROL-SUPPORT/dp/B00P9F9DPO
  11. Deci

Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X – 3D XPoint Has Landed

one other thing, can you test it for SLOG performance too?
  12. Deci

Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X – 3D XPoint Has Landed

@Patrick can you test one setup in an "extended memory" configuration so its effectively slower ram? cheaper than ram and fast enough for cache as a storage server?
  13. Deci

Fusion Iodrive2

all that testing was done a while ago too, and a lot of it wasn't on the greatest systems even then, but both drives are still kicking along flawlessly in storage boxes though. would have been nice to have been able to get the 1.2tb iodrive 2 for a decent price, but this was all done nearly 2...
  14. Deci

Storage server for fast reading

well thats pretty neat that it scales well. if you have a read heavy use case, thats a cheaper solution than the larger single card NVME solutions and you could even do a soft raid5 or 10
  15. Deci

Fusion Iodrive2

the error tells you everything. the fusion io drives basically need to have the driver version match the firmware version or be very close to it as they are very software dependent, you cant have old firmware with new drivers or new firmware with old drivers. you can use the management tools...