Recent content by davidv

1. D

Fun with an MD1200/MD1220 & SC200/SC220

I started another thread and added the current code in there: Controlling Dell MD1200 noisy fans with Arduino It's super basic for now. I'm going to add a second software serial so I can control both of my shelves and then also loop it so it sends the commands periodically. Right now it just...
  2. D

Controlling Dell MD1200 noisy fans with Arduino (also MD1220 & SC200/SC220)

I originally posted this into an existing MD1200 thread: Fun with an MD1200/MD1220 & SC200/SC220 This is a really good thread and kudos to @fohdeesha for being the first to post on interfacing with the MD1200 over the service port and reverse engineering some of the commands. But I thought this...
  3. D

So I ended up doing the Arduino thing anyway. I would have had to wait for an extra Dell cable to do the second MD1200 if I just stuck with that method and I got impatient. When I first started trying to get this working without the Dell cable I had no luck. Then after sleeping on it I realised...
  4. D

Has anyone tried making up an arduino dongle that gets powered by the ps2 port and spams the set_temp and set_speed commands periodically? (ie rather than having permanent console cables attached) I have 2 MD1200 shelves and only one console cable, so this would be preferable for me. I also have...
  5. D

Add multiple physical disks at a time to Hyper-V VM?

Yeah I've just been playing around with it for now.. Playing with a bunch of things and haven't committed to one yet, so using Hyper-V for now as it's what I know. I've already experienced one issue with passing through via Hyper-V.. I unplugged one of my shelves to attach a power monitor to it...
  6. D

BTW It's my first time writing my own Powershell script. Haven't needed to go beyond copy and pasting others' code until now. Must say it's nice being able to script with objects in the command line.
  7. D

Yes, that's what I've been doing, I don't know how that little "i" snuck in before the SCSI.. I meant adding the physical drives to the virtual SCSI controller of the VM to pass them through, not an iSCSI LUN.
  8. D

Oops, didn't mean to say iSCSI. Meant the SCSI controller. OK I figured it out. I haven't run the actual Add-VMHardDiskDrive bit yet because the drives are attached now, but I know the rest before it works. So this should do it (unless I've messed up the last foreach-object bit, which I...
  9. D

That's correct. I have a Windows Server 2022 host and passing through the disks to the TrueNAS VM by manually adding them one at a time to the VM's iSCSI controller as physical disks in the VM settings. It's a painful process adding them one at a time for 48 drives.
  10. D

I couldn't find any info on this anywhere, which may suggest it's not possible, but I'd love to find a way to do it. I have 2 NetApp disk shelves with 48 disks total, and running TrueNAS in a VM. I'm still in the stage of playing around with it and I've already had to add all the physical disks...
  11. D

Remove drives from RAID10 on Dell r420? (or backup/restore)

Ahh of course... mirroring then striping.. so needs 4. I haven't actually used RAID10 before, I've been living with the luxury of Synology Hybrid RAID for so long. I'd be happy to convert it to just mirroring, but I'm guessing the card won't do that.
  12. D

Remove drives from RAID10 on Dell r420? (or backup/restore)

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I received a Dell r420 the other day and stupidly configured the 4 x 300GB SAS drives in the front as a single 600GB RAID10 array. This reduces my options for replacing drives and I was thinking of putting an SSD into one of the drive bays. The RAID...
  13. D

Dell r420 / Websense v10000 G3

... and of course I just realised that I don't have any VGA cables and even if I did, the only display I have that accepts VGA is an old projector.
  14. D

Dell r420 / Websense v10000 G3

Hey Guys, I just received a Dell r420 off eBay today and was a bit surprised to see it badged as a Websense v10000 G3. A quick Google verified that it is actually an r420 under the hood, but there's still not a whole lot of info floating around about it. One Reddit post I found suggested that...
  15. D

Netapp LSI CLASS 3650 MODEL 0834

Thanks for the awesome info. Much appreciated! Sounds like Netapp shelves are the way to go. I must admit I prefer the look of them anyway. One thing I'm still confused about is the interposers. I've seen it mentioned that we should make sure it has the interposers... Are these just to change...