Recent content by DavidRa

1. DavidRa

[Win2022] STOP in vmswitch.sys adding VMNetworkAdapter to host

Dang it, mine is the exact inverse :(. Broadcom BSOD, Intel fine. I'm trying to source some 560SFP or 560FLR-SFP (basically Intel X520) to try instead - but maybe I should try non-HP drivers too...
  2. DavidRa

Yeah I realise the Gen8 isn't "qualified" but I'm not spending $20K $30K(!) to get Gen10 nodes for my home lab. They're DL380p and identical specs apart from RAM distributions - some are 24 x 8, others 8 x 16 + 8 x 8. Really the only difference between p and e versions is that the p was...
  3. DavidRa

Playing with Server 2022 in the lab here, and I'm trying to set up a Hyper-V cluster on my DL380 G8. The first node went fine. All the other three nodes have the same problem - OS installed, firmware, drivers and HP niceties added fine. When I create the VMSwitch - no error (see...
  4. DavidRa

HP Controllers with non HP Disks

Just to update this in case anyone else finds it. No issue with 3P disks in the DL380p Gen8. I have 2 HP SSDs which came with it, 2 Intel SSDs of the same model, and 8x3TB Toshiba and Seagate drives - and it's suitably quiet.
  5. DavidRa

566 Nas chassis! perfect!

Holy crap that's almost exactly what I designed for myself a couple of years back (with roughly the same idea/criteria). Right down to the two large fans and the 8-10 drives (I would have to go find my "design" to see what's different). Kudos for making it. Edit: I'm bloody old it was more than...
  6. DavidRa

Simple Hyper-V Failover cluster

Not quite - hook it up to Azure Site Recovery and for (IIRC) $10 a month Azure will do the failover management for you. It's been a long time since I looked at it but it could be an option. The better option is to have something onsite. Ping the primary and if it's failed for 5m start on...
  7. DavidRa

Recommend a vSAN all flash cache drive?

Intel P3605 cards are PCIe and would be one I'd consider if m.2 isn't a hard requirement, though at a couple hundred each for 1.6TB they're not cheap. I do think it's a reasonably good value option, though.
  8. DavidRa

HP Controllers with non HP Disks

Not sure if it's better here or in Servers, but has anyone recently tried using non-HP firmware disks in Gen8 servers? I'd specifically be trying to juggle a p408i controller into a Gen8 server (so I can have mixed mode) and then using the existing 3TB disks I have for storage. I presently have...
  9. DavidRa

Switch licensing hell

Nope, there's no money in that. Apparently it's better business to fail to sell new switches to some than to sell licenses for old ones. I'd also probably go for the secondhand ICX switches and just get a couple of spares. For the cost of the time to try to get licensing working, compared to...
  10. DavidRa

WTB: Looking for a replacement to the Quanta LB8M (North America)

The goto seems to be the Brocade ICX stuff. Maybe a 6650? Check the mega "Brocade ICX" thread in Networking for details.
  11. DavidRa

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

You would need a breakout cable - a DAC (which has the QSFP module on one end and it splits out to four 10Gbps SFP+ modules). One example is this one 40G QSFP+ Breakout Active Optical Cables (AOC) - not a recommendation, just first I found as an example.
  12. DavidRa

X10SDV-4C-TLN2F $229.90

Dang, it actually looks like a reasonable price (I have an old Fractal Design mini ITX NAS in which the board died). Someone stop me I shouldn't be buying...
  13. DavidRa

Dell Poweredge R640 suitable for home lab use?

That's a hell of a home lab starter pack. The 1U servers could be a little whiny (small fans that have to spin hard to move air) but I'd still do it and figure out a way to deal with the noise if needed.
  14. DavidRa

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I don't know how representative I am, but I just purchased 6450s to replace a failing LB4m; I didn't see anything significantly better available, certainly not at the price. I have a pair for myself (one live, one spare) and I'll just keep the configs synced. Firmware? Unless there is a...
  15. DavidRa

PSA / FIX: SuperMicro "no iKVM64 in java.library.path"

Yes that was under Windows. I think you can specify an architecture for packages under Linux too - I tend to use Debian families, in which case Multiarch/HOWTO - Debian Wiki would be my starting point.