Recent content by DavidRa

1. DavidRa

Sun/Oracle branded SSDs

I'll add that I have tried some of the HGST SSDs with Sun/Oracle firmware in other servers and performance has been far, far below spec-sheet levels. I have had 17 of them, all 3.2TB, and all performing at <5MBps. Would not touch.
  2. DavidRa

I have an old as dirt Ruckus 7372 and I'm looking to upgrade

Can you show your current network configuration / layout? You can draw a simple diagram with Draw.IO (you can take your fancy link investigation and correction, and shove it thanks XenForo!) if you don't have a preferred tool. We'd need to see the following (you can exclude any cases that are...
  3. DavidRa

I have an old as dirt Ruckus 7372 and I'm looking to upgrade

It sounds like I'm in the "You're doing it wrong" camp, but I'm going to say it anyway. This is not a function of the AP. The AP does not function at layer 3 (which is where you need to control IP connections) it's a layer 2 device. That means it manages at the MAC address layer, like a switch...
  4. DavidRa

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

I've seen mention of Sun/Oracle firmware for HGST in this thread, but I haven't managed to find a source for the Sun 3.2TB drives (HGST model is HUSMR3232ASS200 but the internal data shows "HBCAC2DH2SUN3.2T" instead). Can someone point me at the matching firmware? I'd like to get better than...
  5. DavidRa

AU [WTB] Intel P3500/P3600/P3700 FH Brackets (G91824-002)

#@(*%^(@!#*%^ I should just have drilled out the SAS brackets (I'd bought and returned because incorrect).
  6. DavidRa

Interesting. Do you happen to still have the HH bracket? Is the foot of the HH bracket a few mm shorter than the FH bracket? That would explain lots of things.
  7. DavidRa

I should have clarified - the distance from the bottom of the bracket to the first hole seems to be 5mm out, it's not the offset of the bracket to the card itself. It looks like the wrong bracket would hold the card out of the PCIe slot - and air gaps often aren't good for conductivity: Note...
  8. DavidRa

Would anyone have a source for the Intel full-height brackets to suit the PCIe flash adapters - the bracket itself is most likely marked IPN G91824 002 in microscopic text, and will suit the P3x00 series of PCIe adapters. There was one other post here years ago with no answer. All the Ebay...
  9. DavidRa

New build to host my Proxmox hypevisor

Where on earth are you finding them for USD40-80? The cheapest I'm seeing even now for the P3700 800GB is USD100-150, let alone the 1.6TB.
  10. DavidRa

Setting up Active Directory - woes and considerations

I have not seen this failure mode in any of the environments I've built, so I can't say. Well that config is fine for DNS (though you should also add the correct reverse lookup zones and a forwarder, it's not an absolute requirement). Definitely should have included that in your other...
  11. DavidRa

OK the disconnected ports are the reason Server Manager shows multiple wrong IPs. The ones registered in DNS are more important. Why is your DC using DHCP? When DNS is installed, it should have warned you to make it static. Do that too! You do need to set DNS on the DC to just be the DC...
  12. DavidRa

Your test with nslookup used the wrong IP - I can see you typed 192.169 instead of 192.168. These details are really important, the computer can't interpret typos to get the answers you need. Looks to me like your server might have multiple IP addresses - maybe multiple NICs? You really want...
  13. DavidRa

So, remember how I said "All your clients only use the DCs for DNS" - this sort of domain join failure is a symptom of DNS not working. Whatever you're trying to join to AD must have ONLY your DC IP addresses. This is 100% not negotiable at all. Windows will look up all DNS servers in parallel...
  14. DavidRa

Ruckus One - SMH.

Same here, even after unsubscribing. The "preferences" link is broken too. Half-assed marketing with a dash of "we won't test unsubscribing because no-one would ever want to stop receiving our wonderful spam".
  15. DavidRa

No, the file share won't be a big problem, though permissions could get iffy. You might need to look at permissions after the DC promotion. If this is your first domain deployment, some unsolicited tips: Install the DNS role on your DCs. Once you're done configure ALL your devices to use the...