Recent content by czl

1. C

Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

If you are driving distance to Palo Alto CA I am thinking to sell my silent rack like one of these but mine takes less floor space and silences perhaps 40 or 50db don’t have the spec sheet with me now. PM me for details if interested...
  2. C

Deals on soundproof rack enclosures for home setting?

I'm in the sfbay area would be willing to sell my "24u UCoustic Soundproof Server Rack" https://www.rackmountsolutions.net/24u-ucoustic-soundproof-server-rack/ PM me for details. Cheers!
  3. C

ZFS pool faulted "too many errors", but no errors?

Based on the syslog you posted it looks to me that Linux kernel is having trouble communicating with the drive. ZFS retries and eventually succeeds hence no ZFS errors just the faulted device due the trouble ZFS has using it. Cause of the problem could be the drive or the connection from MB to...
  4. C

10 x Hitachi 3TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s 3.5" SAS Hard Drive HUS723030ALS640 for $270 or $27/HDD

When I had this problem it turned out to be a difference in the HDD firmware write cache setting. Dump the settings (I believe the linux tool for SAS HDD's is sdparm and for SATA HDD's is hdparm) and you will likely see that the slower drives have write cache disabled. sdparm/hdparm can also...
  5. C

only $459 for 10 HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 HUS726040AL5210 4TB SAS 128MB 12Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" + ebay coupon

Same seller with Toshiba 6Tb's at $920 per 10. Warranty on these is till 2022. "Toshiba MG04ACA600E 6TB Enterprise SATA III 7.2K 128MB 3.5" MFG 2022 Lot of 10" Toshiba MG04ACA600E 6TB Enterprise SATA III 7.2K 128MB 3.5" MFG 2022 Lot of 10 4053162863583 | eBay
  6. C

[sfbay] Noren Acoustilock 16U Cabinet ~25" deep

Yes I am around early next week. This weekend I hope to move it to better place and take some photos.
  7. C

[sfbay] Noren Acoustilock 16U Cabinet ~25" deep

$600 OBO. Cabinet is located in Mountain View CA. No shipping but local delivery via my van is negotiable. Hoping to find good home for it. Mine has maple color finish. Photos below show the black model. Mine looks identical apart for color. Demo Videos: Reviews: Noren Products...
  8. C

WTB: Universal Sliding Shelves/Rails

They look like this: https://i.stack.imgur.com/G8zc4.jpg https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-mn92le88sf/images/stencil/1280x1280/v/adjustable-angle-brackets__35113.original.png The ones I know are length adjustable and the shelf part of the L can either be full or half length.
  9. C

WTS: 4/6TB 7.2k spinners

Any one recall instances where pre-prod hardware shipped with timeout feature that causes it to stop working after a set amount of time? Asking because such features are not uncommon in pre-prod software. ZFS and ilk can tolerate one or two natural HD deaths at a time but I'd be awfully worried...
  10. C

WTB: Universal Sliding Shelves/Rails

Have you considered getting sets of universal L brackets to mount your hardware on? I'd expect them to be much cheaper than full shelves.
  11. C

Hitachi 3TB Ultrastar SAS HDD 7.2K HUS724030ALS64 (10x for $350 OBO, 20x for $650 OBO) free shipping

When I test I have 30-40 drives all sharing the same PCI slots so my peak throughput per drive is capped by that (~4Gb/s across two r710 slots). Without that cap I expect mine would be as fast as the posted benchmarks.
  12. C

Hitachi 3TB Ultrastar SAS HDD 7.2K HUS724030ALS64 (10x for $350 OBO, 20x for $650 OBO) free shipping

Possibly there is another firmware setting you can tweak to fix them? With the write cache off my sequential write speed was ~10-20MB/s once I turned it on their write speed jumped to what StorageReview.com (link above) reports for these (as with all HDD's speed varies across the platter...
  13. C

FYI: My testing of another set of these drives (from another vendor, stock firmware) also found very slow seq write speed. Poking around I noticed that their write cache was OFF and smartctl manual says this should be ON by default so when I did turn it on the seq write speed was fixed. From...
  14. C

FS: APC Netshelter CX 24U (SOLD)

The good ones pull cool air in from near the floor, through filters, and exhaust hot air near the top and are designed everywhere else to be air tight. For best results you have to keep them closed and sealed as air leaks prevent this "cooling" mechanism working efficiently. Having the good ones...
  15. C

Seagate 4TB Portable 2.5" shuckable $95 (Nov 17-27) Costco

I recall reading that some 2.5" 4tb seagate drives use SMR which is undesirable for RAID or any application that has data being updated. I recommend you research the exact model for details.