Recent content by cuddylier

1. C

Supermicro poor NVMe SSD performance in Linux

I haven't used the fio script on different boards yet but now I know about it, I can. Yes, these results were from a mdadm raid 1 array. That makes sense why the reads are what they are, thanks.
  2. C

Thanks a lot. I ran 4k, 128k, 1m and 2m blocks to see and the performance seems pretty good actually for 128k , 1m and 2m at least, 4k is low for throughput but probably as expected as you mentioned: 4k 128k 1m 2m Is there anything that might impact the 1m and 2m block tests to show such high...
  3. C

Thanks. Do you know an example fio command I could use to use that config file? I Googled about it but can't find anything that suggests how you use such a file with fio. I've used fio in the past to test a drive without it needing a partition table (it overwrote existing data) but want to make...
  4. C

I've tested the bare drives relatively recently and got slightly better performance but not much at all, still below 1GB/s write speed. I'll have another this coming week to test again. Read speed: hdparm -t /dev/md2 to test the raid 1 array and hdparm -t /dev/nvme0n1 etc to test the individual...
  5. C

I checked which PCie slots I'm using on the X9DRI-LN4F+, slot 1 and 6 which are on different CPUs so it rules out using two PCIe slots on the same CPU. The write speed almost does seem like it's exactly half what I'd expect though, seeing 700MB/s to the mdadm raid 1 array and would expect around...
  6. C

Thanks for the idea. I checked the output of "lspci -vv" and it seems to suggest it's PCie 3.0 okay: 82:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Intel Corporation PCIe Data Center SSD (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [NVM Express]) Capabilities: [60] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00 LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s, Width x4...
  7. C

That'll be very helpful, thanks a lot.
  8. C

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm actually primarily testing another X9DRI-LN4F server I have with 2 X 2.5" Intel P3605 1.6TB in it. The two devices are plugged into pcie ports through a pcie to U2 adapter. Seeing 600 - 700MB/s write, 2400MB/s read. Read looks fine to me, it's just write that isn't...
  9. C

Do you get the write speed you mentioned with the following command, if it's not what you already used? dd if=/dev/zero of=test_$$ bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test_$$
  10. C

I could only dream of seeing such numbers. My NVMe seem sufficiently cool as they usually stick around 20 - 30c. Anything special with partitioning? My partioning below for the actual NVMEs which are part of a mdadm raid 1 array. They start on 2048, I did see an Intel document saying they...
  11. C

What sort of read/write performance have you seen for NVMe on Linux with X10 or X11 boards?
  12. C

That wasn't something I knew about. Although I did use the single M.2 slot on a Supermicro board for one of the tests that was getting poor results but moving that exact SSD with the OS on it to an ASRock's single M.2 slot showed considerable improvement in write performance (1GB/s -> 1.5GB/s)...
  13. C

That's what I thought but I've seen consistently massive performance differences between the same NVMe SSDs on both Supermicro and ASRock (and ASRock Rack) motherboards in this case. Always with the same CentOS 7 base install. Multiple ASRock and Supermicro boards tested. The drivers for both...
  14. C

Hi I've tried different NVMe SSDs in various Supermicro motherboards. both in the M.2 slots on the board and using a M.2 to PCie adapter in the PCIe slots, whether that's a X9DRI-LN4F+ or the latest boards such as X11SCZ-F. Typically the read speeds are okay but the write speeds are low e.g. on...
  15. C

1U i9-9900k cooling in a Supermicro chassis

Yeah, then you've to add the motherboard height (pcb) plus the CPU socket and CPU itself so I guess all of that adds up. I'd assume everything is probably a bit above 4.45mm.