Recent content by ClintE

1. C

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Hello all, Haven't posted for a long time since the 6610 is running so well. Just wondering, is there a way to make one of the 40G breakout ports just straight 40G like the "plain" 40G ports? TY!
  2. C

Not sure, but I don't think you need two PSU's in any of the 6610 models; they're for redundancy and don't split the load. If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me.
  3. C

Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake

I'm using Cisco I350-T4 pulls that work great; running for a couple years or so.
  4. C

We recently installed flexible conduit and pulled multimode fiber through the house. Currently using ICX 6610-24F in office (working on extensive fan mod) and very quiet Dell Powerconnect 5524's with Noctua fans in living room and bedroom. I have 2 or 3 Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual port QSFP cards...
  5. C

This. We ended up running 1" Carlon ENT flexible conduit (smurf tube) and pulling multimode with cheap, quiet used Dell 5524's at the ends, with a 6610 in the office. Demands of 10G copper, such as near-perfect quality cabling, expensive transceivers and adapters, heat, etc. were deciding...
  6. C

Anyone done a Brocade 6610 fan mod?

If you're not against used, Dell Powerconnect 55xx's, inexpensive, 2x SFP+ slots, separate stacking ports, 24 or 48 ethernet (POE available), decent L2 and light L3, low noise fans that can be replaced with even quieter ones.
  7. C

Yep figured it would be over $50, didn't realize it would be that much. Part of the hobby I guess. Acquired the 10G over time, then pulled fiber through the house and set quiet switches at the endpoints. Really like the 6610 capabilities, but it's rather noisy... Seemed to quiet it down...
  8. C

I did consider the 7250, but the price of around $300 (compared to about $150 for 6610) was main reason. When buying used equipment for 24/7 home use, I usually purchase another similar or same model for a spare. I couldn't justify twice the cost for two 7250's. I agree that modifying power...
  9. C

Yes, but when I enter the command "stack unconfigure clean", I get the message "This command is not available on standalone or Active Controller". When entering "show stack" it returns: ***** Warning! stack is not enabled. ***** T=18m55.0: alone: standalone, D: dynamic cfg, S: static ID...
  10. C

I noticed my second 6610 (48P) is showing stack ID 2 instead of 1, like the 24F. I don't want to stack the switches, so I would like to configure the 48P to be ID 1 also. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get this to take. When attempting some stack commands, it returns an error message that...
  11. C

Yeah, that's why I want to stick with fabricated metal cover if possible. Maybe see if the metal shop can make a couple of PSU covers with a bunch of holes; might help with EMI...
  12. C

I'm going to take the cover or just entire unit to a metal shop and find out if they're willing to fabricate a new cover with 4x 140mm holes in square pattern. Since I have two 6610's, I considered having a shop cut holes in one of the covers, but really don't want to ruin either lid. FWIW...
  13. C

These switches are so heavy (especially with two PSU's and two fan sleds), I wouldn't recommend using only the ears to rack. There are rails out there; I think some Dell rails and/or ears work with the 6610.
  14. C

I'm going to just remove the PSU cover(s) instead of cutting.
  15. C

Sounds good, thank you, and have a great day!