Recent content by clcorbin

1. C

ESXI 8 one VM will is not reachable through one vlan

I moved a VM (windows 2019 server) from one host to another in my home lab. The lab is running ESXI essentials 8.0 on both servers. The VM has three network interfaces on different vlans (an running layer three switch). After the move, one of the vlans would not response to ping, while the...
  2. C

Problems upgrading R740 from Silver 6114 to Gold 6150

Well, it wouldn't boot with the CPU from socket 1 installed (with the other CPU or installed by itself in socket 1). It did boot up just fine with the other socket 2 CPU installed in socket 1 by itself. After double checking that all the firmware was up to date (it was) and it would boot...
  3. C

Problems upgrading R740 from Silver 6114 to Gold 6150

Folks, I had picked up a R70 at a local auction for a very good price and decided to upgrade the processors from Silver 6114 it came with to Gold 6150 CPUs. The 6150 did require the larger 150w+ heatsinks, which I also purchased. The install was pretty straight forward, but after booting up...
  4. C

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I did find the root cause of these problem: The patch cable going from the wall plate to the 6610 in the garage and the GS108 switch in my hobby room was bad. I know I tested it after I originally made it (I do NOT trust myself to make a perfect patch cable without testing to prove it!). I...
  5. C

As always, you are the man! I was able to reboot the stack this afternoon and everything is working like a champ now.
  6. C

I will give that a try this evening before bed. Thanks!
  7. C

Break out port issue. I've configured the switch to use the two 40G ports for stacking and the other two QSFP ports as breakout ports. Stacking works great. I've setup 2/2/2 to 2/2/3 as tagged ports and each one connects to one of two servers. Same with ports 2/2/7 to 2/2/8. They connect...
  8. C

I use two of them stacked, one in the garage and one in my "hobby room" closet. The only extra downside to these switches has to be the noise. They are a bit noisy on low fan speed, but the instant they hit 75C (and that is pretty easy...), the fans will spool up to 18,000rpm+ and they sound...
  9. C

This may be a function of my extremely poor search skills, but I only found 3 posts in this thread talking about 2.5 Gb speeds. And none of them actually answer my question. So... Can the x/3/x ports on the ICX 6610 support NBase-T copper (2.5Gb in my case) with the right SFP+ transceiver...
  10. C

You are the man! As I expected, something obvious and trivial. I had enabled 10g on the front ports. Of unit 2 (rack). But never unit 1! A quick "speed-duplex 10g-full" and unplugging and replugging the cable had everything up and running perfectly. Thank you Kind Sir!
  11. C

I've been having a problem with one port (work laptop 1Gb LAN port) since I switched to the ICX 6610 stack. One 6610 is in the hobby room in the computer stack, the other is out in the garage (one switch would have been MORE THAN ENOUGH ports, but about half my network drops led to the hobby...
  12. C

The x540 doesn't use SFP+ modules. The transceivers are built in. I've used it at 10Gb with my old Aruba S3500 with no issues. And using the exact same module from the Aruba in the ICX 6610 1/3/x slots (tried multiple slots), it won't connect. I realized I hadn't tested the cable from end to...
  13. C

I'm at a lose. The front 1/3/x SFP+ ports work perfectly with fiber transceivers (Brocade and others) at 10Gb. I've tried three different 10Gb copper transceivers, including the one above and they never power up. Always says network cable unplugged. Could I have something configured wrong...
  14. C

You CAN use a standard 8 fiber MPO/MPO cable instead of a breakout cable, but you will get four 10Gb ports instead of a single 40Gb port.