Recent content by chrispitude

1. C

MegaRAID - how do I reimport a lost VD+CacheCade array?

Hi poto, I couldn't get to a point where I got to Import Configuration without hitting the scary cache message first, despite trying for awhile... ...but I did resolve the issue! First, here's the physical drive view I forgot to post earlier: All three drives are there. Then, I performed...
  2. C

MegaRAID - how do I reimport a lost VD+CacheCade array?

Hi folks! I've got a 9260-8i with 6 x 3TB drives in RAID5 a CacheCade SSD a BBU unit Last night around 2am, my wife and I were woken up by the shrieking alarm from my 9260-8i controller. I powered the machine off and went back to bed. (Sleeping kids + angry wife + exhaustion == not wanting to...
  3. C

Help me benchmark some MegaRAID controllers...

Hmm, I could use this setup to test various ext4 stride setups to see if any of them work synergistically with the controller's RAID access patterns...
  4. C

I got some runs done: $ ls -1d raid* raid0_x6_stripe256_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid0_x6_stripe64_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid10_x6_stripe256_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid10_x6_stripe64_iopolicycached_pdcacheon raid50_x6_stripe256_iopolicycached_pdcacheon...
  5. C

So I think the sum total of customization that would be needed is: In bench.sh, edit CONTROLLER to match what you see in 'sudo parted -lm'. In do.sh, edit the four *_LIST variables in do.sh to iterate over the array configurations of interest. In do.sh, make sure the ARRAY_LIST commands use...
  6. C

Here's the bench.sh script: #!/bin/bash # this is the controller, as reported by 'parted -l' # (used to find out on which device the array landed) CONTROLLER='LSI MR9267-8i' # this is the test filesystem mountpoint TESTFS='/test' ################ if [ "$EUID" -ne 0 ] then echo "Please...
  7. C

Okay here's my main script, do.sh: #!/bin/bash if [ "$EUID" -ne 0 ] then echo "Please run as root" exit fi STRIPE_LIST='256' IOPOLICY_LIST='direct cached' PDCACHE_LIST='on off' unset ARRAY_LIST declare -A ARRAY_LIST ARRAY_LIST[raid0_x6]='storcli64 /c0 add vd type=raid0 name=test...
  8. C

Thanks! Mostly I am looking to get benchmark data useful for you guys, not as much for me. I've almost got it scripted up to create a bunch of RAID array configurations using storcli (successor to megacli), create a fresh filesystem each time, and run a bunch of benchmarks on it. The issue I'm...
  9. C

Okay, I think I'm going to go with the following fio/iozone commands: #!/bin/bash rpath=/results/6x_3TB_RAID0_stripe64k_readahead mkdir $rpath pushd /test # random read/write/readwrite fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=randread --filename=test --bs=4k...
  10. C

Are there "standard" fio job files for measuring things like sequential R/W, random R/W, and IOPS? Edit: currently playing with the following commands: # random read/write/readwrite fio --randrepeat=1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --gtod_reduce=1 --name=randread --filename=test --bs=4k...
  11. C

Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Samsung EVO SSDs, 1TB for $209, 500GB for $98

1 TB = $209 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sams...Id=5948008 500 GB = $98 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sams...Id=5948009 250 GB = $73 = https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sams...Id=5948011 Reposted from Best Buy Geek Squad Certified Refurbished Samsung EVO solid state drives, 1TB for $209, 500GB...
  12. C

LSI 9271-8i array reconstruction

I ran into the same thing with my LSI 9267-8i. I started with 5 x 3TB WD Red in RAID5. After adding a 6th drive and starting the migration to RAID6, the estimated completion was 5 days. Changing the reconstruction rate had no effect, and the disk was unusably slow (an "ls -R" printed 2-3...
  13. C

Benchmarking with fio and generating graphs

Reviving an old thread... So I've been learning fio, and I came across the fio-visualizer utility, which is an Intel-sponsored open-source GUI front-end for fio: GitHub - intel/fiovisualizer After that, I found that fio also comes with gfio, its own GUI front-end: 1. fio - Flexible I/O...
  14. C

Thanks! I can try it. What's your recommended command line?
  15. C

Thanks i386, I appreciate your cautions. This is largely just an excuse to play with CacheCade using a large dataset (uhh, my own stuff). I might or might not keep that configuration. The contents will always be backed up. In the longer run, I might run the SSD directly as a system disk (as you...