Recent content by chinesestunna

1. C

DIY DAS/NAS chassis based on 5x3.5" drive cages?

This would be awesome, I was looking into it a bit more as well and Dell's adapters seems to require a basic serial protocol to correctly emulate the native brick. I'm thinking about also have a UPS added to one of the "shelves" and with the number of outlets not as concerned about Wyse and...
  2. C

4TB HGST SAS Hard Drives - $8

Exactly, recently looked up some Transformer G1 toys from 80s and $$$, always thought they were mechanical marvels. On of my favorite sayings, "the only difference between men and boys are the price of toys"
  3. C

Not yet, give it another 15-20 years. I'm starting to see 90s hardware selling for $$$ on vintage builds
  4. C

Exactly! Classic bathtub curve economics, things lose value due to age/features compared to new eventually bottoming out until it reaches "vintage" or "collector" status and suddenly rises again when nostalgia/emotions drive purchase decisions rather than functionality needs
  5. C

Read through your posts in in the 5070 thread, would love to see photos of your build and a write up if possible :D I'm currently leaning towards a cheap small rolling file cabinet, something like this and holding the drive cages in bottom drawer while top drawers would hold the compute nodes...
  6. C

Awesome! How do you trigger power on for the drive array in the old case/drive cages?
  7. C

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Strange indeed, yet many others reported 32GB config working for them
  8. C

Yes it does, I tried this cycle twice now
  9. C

Windows 10 IoT, just testing and exploring. For what it's worth even the POST and self test with Dell logo was noticably slower
  10. C

Grabbed 2 sticks of 16GB Crucial DDR4 2400 So-DiMMs, working with 32GB of RAM now :) Spoke too soon, while BIOS shows all 32GB, the system seems to slow to a crawl. Something funky going on, more work is needed
  11. C

My Customised SFF Home Server Build

Thanks! I found the same bracket but your metal one is so nice and figured I ask
  12. C

My Customised SFF Home Server Build

Beautiful build! I just finished my own Node304 recently as well. Any chance you can make more of those SSD mounts?
  13. C

Disclaimer: This is not a "why not just buy XYZ chassis that would fit your needs" thread, it's more of a hack/fun experiment and potentially lower power bills :) Current setup (125W with drives spun down, 190W drives running): Supermicro X9 C602 with 1x E5-2670 Xeon + 64GB RAM ESXi 6.7...
  14. C

Great Deals - expired deals on-going discussion

Agree, option 2 would allow the convo to continue while any new deals/updates can start a new thread in Great Deals (poster can choose to link to OG thread as reference)
  15. C

Great Deals - expired deals on-going discussion

Option default case unfortunately happening less often than we'd all like