Recent content by cbutters

1. C

Trouble Initializing Disks OmniOS / Napp-it

I have two questions about initializing disks into my napp-it server (omnios). Question 1) Whenever I drop brand new disks to rebuild mirrors with a larger disks, napp-it cannot see the drives in the "Initialize" section unless I put the drive first into a windows machine and initialize it in...
  2. C

ESXi VMDK on ZFS backed NFS - thin provisioning

Looks like vdp could be EOL? Source:Bye bye VMware VDP - vInfrastructure Blog I'm running Esxi 6.7, according to article 6.5 was the last version that had it baked in.
  3. C

ESXi VMDK on ZFS backed NFS - thin provisioning

I noticed this as well, with ZFS compression turned on; zeroing out the free space on disks, whether windows, linux or other; the lz4 compression on the ZFS datastore reclaimed the space on the pool; no holepunching required. Unfortunately, it seems to always display the VMs as flat-files so...
  4. C

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Yes very useful! Thanks. So is RDM as reliable as PCIe passthrough? I might eventually use this same setup in the office as I'm building for my home right now, and I'm concerned with longevity/stability.
  5. C

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

I am researching the X10SDV-TLN4F-O board, for use with esxi and ZFS. I have a few questions that I can't seem to glean from the discussion so far. A) Is it possible to passthrough JUST the m.2 drive to a VM? B) Is it possible to boot esxi via usb and passthrough all the all the onboard SATA...