Recent content by caveat lector

1. C

Survey: Pulling cable at home

It tends to be much easier to wire an empty home, so that definitely should be done were reasonably possible. Because of the impossibly of knowing future needs with certainty, I would suggest not only pre-wiring, but considering the installation of conduit into and between rooms that someday may...
  2. C

Correctable ECC@DIMM Errors & Sensor Data Displays

A single particle would have had to have a trajectory that passed through two chips, but that of course could have happened. Damage to data in the two chips would have occurred almost instantly, but there easily could have been a two-second time difference between times when the software...
  3. C

No, because of the time difference from UTC the errors occurred about an hour into Memtest86+. It was Memtest86+ 4.20-1.1ubuntu5 included with the Ubuntu 13.10 server installation package.
  4. C

No more memory errors were logged during a couple days of additional testing. It still seems strange that Memtest86 didn't log errors that were logged in IPMI View while Memtest86 was running. That doesn't inspire confidence in Memtest86. The voltage, temperature and fan data display issue...
  5. C

A couple weeks ago I assembled two identical servers. They each have the following: Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F Motherboard Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3 3.3G 4C 8T 8M CPU 4x Kingston KVR16LE11/8EF Memory They are both "headless" and being run from a networked Windows workstation via IPMI View and the...
  6. C

Request for help testing - faster main site

It loads without errors here using Firefox, Chrome, Opera or Safari.
  7. C

I2C vs. SGPIO with a Supermicro Backplane

None of the forum categories seem quite right for this question. I decided to post it here, because it relates to the backplane supplied with a Supermicro chassis. Don't hesitate to move it. I am in the process of assembling new internet servers that will be configured in redundant pairs...
  8. C

HP To Charge For Service Packs and Firmware For Out-of-Warranty Customers -Slashdot

It is surprising that HP is doing so well in this economy that they decide to reduce demand by making their servers less desirable to both new and used equipment buyers.
  9. C

Lenovo ThinkServer RD630 E5-2620 2U Rack Server - $862

Those processors do not support 1600 MT/s memory which limits their usefulness for some applications.
  10. C

Supermicro SuperChassis 813MTQ-350CB Fan Noise

Both those cases are attractive. I don't need half a dozen additional servers right now, but the DC62 case is especially interesting.
  11. C

Good! Based on that 1U Supermicro cases should be fine for my application. Thanks for taking time to comment.
  12. C

8GB DDR3 ECC Memory Modules for SM X10SLM+-LN4F

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks to all for your input.
  13. C

8GB DDR3 ECC Memory Modules for SM X10SLM+-LN4F

I am a bit frustrated trying to buy eight 8GB DDR3 ECC Memory Modules for a couple of SuperMicro X10SLM+-LN4F motherboards . I have had good results with Kingston memory, but SuperMicro doesn't include Kingston in their tested list and the modules that they list are not currently available from...
  14. C

I have a number of 5U rackmount servers built various times in the past running 24/7 in my basement. I used large cases, because there is plenty of space in my server room, they provide more expansion possibilities, and especially because large, slow-turning fans can efficiently move lots of air...