Recent content by carbide

1. C

ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

Honestly the memory issues I’ve experienced and that I’ve seen others report about remind me very much of the early days of Zen1/AM4. I was an early adopter then too, and it took quite a few bios/AGESA updates before I was reliably booting 4x8GB at 3200, but we did get there.
  2. C

Ooh, another early adopter has entered the ring? I’m guessing you’re running the beta BIOS too, since eco mode didn’t show up on mine until after I’d updated it. I’m not sure what you intend to use yours for, but have you tested any gpu/pci passthru on it? I’ve gotten some interesting results...
  3. C

OCulink, as Rollo said, are options that are not part of the off the shelf board, though there are two pads for them that aren’t too hard to find. One is near the bottom between the chipset and the usb3 header, the other is in front of the SATA ports. Also, I’m only running it with two 32GB...
  4. C

Yes, and none that I’ve seen. It detected them immediately and I have one set up for vmotion/provisioning and the other as an uplink for a dswitch. Spoilers for the writeup I plan to write, but that beta bios is almost a requirement for reliable booting. Could be a quirk of my build though...
  5. C

I’m not sure. I’ve successfully booted it with VMware 7.0U3, Win10 22H2, the latest version of Slax, and Proxmox 7.4 with whatever its default kernel is. I haven’t had any boot-stopping driver issues with anything so far.
  6. C

Yes, under Advanced -> AMD CBS -> UMC Common Options -> DDR Options -> DDR RAS -> DDR ECC Configuration. Options are Auto, Enabled, and Disabled. Also yes, one level above the previous. Options are Auto, True, and False. This is in two different places, one is Advanced -> AMD Overclocking ->...
  7. C

That’s one of the things I’m keen to look into myself. If those options are present, I may use the 7950X for one or both of the other nodes with the power capped around 100W.
  8. C

I’ll do what I can with those. In the interest of getting things set up sooner rather than later, I’m using non-ECC ram for this node. Hopefully by the time I’m ready to build the follow on nodes I can actually find 32GB ECC sticks.
  9. C

I've pulled the trigger on one of these along with a 7900 as a trial balloon for eventually working up to a small ESXi (or Proxmox, depending on stability) cluster. Parts should start showing up over the next few days, please let me know if there are any tests anyone would like me to try.
  10. C

It's so pretty. I nearly hit the buy button on newegg several times for the -2L2T, now that I know there's a review inbound I'll hold off. That said, I'll be eagerly awaiting this video. Did you attempt to run ESXi on it?
  11. C

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

For anyone who's built one of these servers (motherboard and RAM types notwithstanding), has anyone tried using them as an ESXi host? I know there's a workaround required to avoid a PSOD about the P/E core mismatches, but if anyone has done so, can you talk about about how well (or not) it...
  12. C

I'm guessing the previously-mentioned cooling requirements wouldn't be so bad if pairing this with a 7900/7950 non-X? I really want a few of these for some decent low-power VM hosts.