Recent content by ca3y6

1. C

AMD making a fool of Threadripper customers - AGAIN?

Stupid question: do lots of people upgrade their desktop CPU without upgrading their motherboard? CPUs are so powerfull now that for desktop workloads, including gaming, they are rarely at capacity, unless you do stuff like compressing videos. Feels like it must be a tiny market.
  2. C

Why do motherboards have 10G RJ45?

On my side, 10gbe switches are still expensive and there are lots of home devices that will only handle 1gbe copper, like a playstation, laptop, sonos, wifi access point, etc. So at best you have a hybrid network. I only run 10gbe between devices that can handle it (NAS, desktop, home server)...
  3. C

2016 vs. 2019 Hyper-V

I haven’t noticed any difference in hyper-v between 2016 and 2019. I think 2019 was a minor update, fixing the UI a little bit, cloud seems to be the focus for Microsoft now. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/whats-new-in-windows-server-2019
  4. C

PFsense on Hyper-V

I actually run several pfsense at home in hyper-v to create multiple gateways (on different subnets but on the same switch) that VPN into different countries using a commercial VPN service. The benefit is that I can switch the country for a device just by setting its IP to a different subnet...
  5. C

Active vs Passive Heatsinks (in Supermicro Chassis)

Actually I wondered about that when I built my server. I am a bit of an amateur, and my thinking was that the air shroud was robbing the PCIe cards of their airflow, and high end SSDs tend to heat up too. So I went for no air shroud plus an active cooling for the CPU (1 socket). Both CPU and...
  6. C

Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

I also ran into something that must be a small bug. The MB is connected to a SM 829HE1C4-R1K02LPB chassis, and it appears that after a while, the monitoring of the power consumption freezes and remains frozen at a given value (both through SMCIPMITool dcmi powerStatus and through the web...
  7. C

On my side I received the replacement TPM (AOM-TPM-9665V) and my H12SSL-I freezes again on boot (stuck on DXE--USB initialisation 62). Raised it with supermicro support. I guess it must be a bug. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? If I remove the TPM chip the server boots fine and is...
  8. C

I ran into some stability issues with the TPM AOM-TPM-9665V and the H12SSL-i (blue screens, followed by the BIOS freezing during the reboot process). Supermicro support suggested I replace the TPM module, waiting for the part right now. Without the module the server is stable. Has anyone...
  9. C

Connecting MB SATA to Supermicro Chassis

Ok Thanks. Can I check that I understood correctly (I never used SAS and was making the wrong assumptions)? I am thinking of buying This card The chassis has two sets of drives, 12 at the front, and 4 in the middle. That controller has two SAS ports, I could connect one for each set of drives...
  10. C

Thanks. And one more question. I am still confused why the schematics are only showing two cables going from the HBA to the front panel, even though there are 12 drive slots. how many drives can be connected through a single MiniSAS cable?
  11. C

But I thought that SATA and SAS were compatible. If they are not, and if I purchase a SAS PCIe controller, will I still be able to plug SATA drives in that chassis?
  12. C

This may be a dumb question as this is the first time I play with server chassis. I am trying to connect the front panel of the Supermicro chassis (SC829HE1C4-R1K02LPB), which contains 12 front drives slots to a MB H12SSL-i motherboard. No RAID card, I just want to use the SATA connectors of the...
  13. C

Epyc NVME 7443P

Why not using 8 RAM modules? I understand the CPU has 8 channels. Aren’t you leaving memory bandwidth on the table?
  14. C

Do EPYC Milan CPUs even exist for sale?

Actually you were right. If I set the power plan to High Performance (from the default Balanced), then I get the expected performance profile. Mystery solved! Thanks
  15. C

Do EPYC Milan CPUs even exist for sale?

Sure. The screenshot below is with one ffmpeg compression (h264@1080p), only some of the cores are used, the CPU clock is well below its capacity (1.6GHz), the CPU is "cold" (40C) The second screenshot is with two ffmpeg compressions in parallel (h264@1080p), all cores fully used, CPU going...