Recent content by BullCreek

1. B

genoa and thinkmate rax systems

Pretty much everyone has at least preliminary details on their new genoa systems (SM, Tyan, AsrockRack). I noticed that thinkmate will let you configure and presumable buy one, but it appears that they have switched to carrying their own white label system called RAX? Anyone know who...
  2. B

SOLVED - Joining Domain failed - napp-it

Thank you so much for posting this - i just ran into this same problem - you saved me much frustration and wiresharking!
  3. B

OmniOS 151036 stable

Thanks nle - i will give it a go when i get a chance.
  4. B

OmniOS 151036 stable

Does the SMB 3.1.1 stuff mean that it will be possible to use nappit for time machine backups again over SMB instead of AFP?
  5. B

AMD Epyc NVME support

The 2113S-WN24RT rev1 is unfortunately a no go with every illumos based distro I tried (smartos, omnios, openindiana) - there are issues with the BIOS that prevent it from being able to boot and SM isn't doing any more updates for rev1. I hear from joyent folks on the omnios or illumos mailing...
  6. B

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Thanks Wolfstar, that makes sense about the cable not being for the 6610 which doesn't have a miniusb to plug into - and I'm happy to say my cisco cable worked after I got the settings right per rocketpanda40's advice - I'm off to the races now.
  7. B

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Finally took the plunge and got a 6610 - it didn't come with a console cable unfortunately - and I see multiple links to the required brocade cable in these pages, but looking at the pictures when i follow those links, I don't get it. The recommended one on ebay shows a picture of a cable with...
  8. B

Firmware Flash X520

Thanks! I forced LCC to install that same version 19 again, and after it rebooted the lights came back on and everything is working. Strange but breathing a sigh of relief, because i'd been reading down that same path you described and that sounded ugly...
  9. B

Firmware Flash X520

10. B

Firmware Flash X520

I was upgrading our hypervisors from esxi 6.5 to 6.7U3 today and before I did the remediation upgrade, I ran life cycle controller to update the BIOS and other drivers to pick up the CPU microcode updates to address all or most of the CVEs that have come up over the last couple years since we...
  11. B

Gigabyte R272-Z32 Review This 24x NVMe AMD EPYC 7002 Server is a Home Run

We've been evaluating the various 2U 1P EPYC solutions for use as next generation all flash ZFS storage servers and run into some problems. Tyan TN70A-B8026 - works with Open Indiana latest - OmniOS CE Stable and Bloody spontaneously reboot without a crash dump during install SM...
  12. B

Problem upgrading OmniOS r151028 to r151030

I got the same error when upgrading. There was an email on the omniosce mailing list that had the answer that worked for me: $ pkg uninstall pkg://omnios/developer/gcc48@4.8.1-0.151014 Then retry the directions - it should work.
  13. B

AMD Epyc NVME support

Depending on what brand/model of NVME drives you have and what version of OmniOS you have, you may need to disable version detection in /kernel/drv/nvme.conf for the drives to show up.
  14. B

AMD EPYC & OmniOSce/Solaris

Finally got around to upgrading to esxi6.7 today - but before I did that, I tried R151028 on it. Seems to work fine other than a few things I noticed: 1. The installer will boot off USB fine, but if you install to a USB stick, it won't boot after you are done. I think it is this bug: Bug...
  15. B

AMD EPYC & OmniOSce/Solaris

My homelab setup is an esxi 6.5 all in one with an omniosce vm with the onboard 9300-8i passed thru. Been running totally solid for about 6 months or so now. CPU is a 7351P and mobo is a H11SSL-NC - been super happy with it. I'm planning on updating it to 6.7u1 this weekend as a matter of...